IGNORED

Is it just me or does Star Voyager suck?

StanJr

oh man I looove Star Voyager. I guess it's more nostalgia than anything because it was one of the original & wonderful "Imagic Two" (i.e. the first 2 Imagic games that came out and completely blew away anything I had previously seen on the vcs back in the day).

I guess the only way I liked to play the game is set it to Lasers. That way you breeze through the enemies pretty easily. And of course it's a challenge to see how many stripes you can earn. But you're right, in that Starmaster probably beats it as far as options.. but which one was first? ;-)

What turned me on to this game when I was little was the fact that my friend and I never read the instructions and found that you could fire the your lasers with the second joystick. We thought that was really cool. We actually had more fun playing the game with two people. We played it until we got the Admiral rank.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

I mean what's the point? The targeting computer is sloppy, the radar is weak, and its not really that much fun.

Anybody here champion the game and want to tell me why you like it?

I dont think its you. I thin it really sucks

I enjoyed Star Voyager. It was the only in-the-cockpit-of-a-starship game I could actually win at! I liked it because it was easier to win and to control.

I hated Starmaster and Star Raiders for the 2600. I could never complete a novice game on either them! I thought both had poor controls because I simply couldn't control the darn ship so that I could get the aliens the crosshairs.

Maybe I just suck at these games. But I just found Star Voyager more enjoyable because I could actually make some progress in the game.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

...and its not really that much fun.

I'm afraid I have to agree. It may be because I obtained the cart after I had spent a number of hours with both Starmaster and Star Raiders, but I've never really been able to enjoy the game. The single player game has always seemed blah compared to similar titles. Granted, it was an early effort, and deserves credit for breaking new ground, but I think it really got outdone by later games, and suffers in comparison to them.

On the other hand, to the game's credit, the two player game, where one player controls an enemy ship, can produce an amusing duel. But since I don't have many Atari sparring partners, it's usually the single player game I'm stuck with...which means the cart doesn't see much use.

I agree, Stan. The main reason for which Star Voyager comes across as BLAH is that it's suffering by comparison to other 2600 space shooters, the best of which are Starmaster and (although you see your ship) Solaris. And, of course, The Earth Dies Screaming. (I'm kidding. The working title was actually The Player Dies Yawning.)

I always thought Star Raiders was overrated as well. It's decent on the 8-bits, but the VCS version's kinda goofy.

I love my Colony Wars. For those of you who think PS players are sacriligious, you may ignore this last paragraph.

-- Han "Chris" Solo

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Federico:

I always thought Star Raiders was overrated as well. It's decent on the 8-bits, but the VCS version's kinda goofy.

Just last night, I was playing Star Raiders on my 800XL. It's a blast! I'd forgotten how different it was on the 8-bits. Still, goofy and all, I'm kinda fond of the 2600 version too.

I always enjoyed Star Voyager when I was younger because it was one of the few games I could master back then (I was all of six), but now I find it a bit too easy and boring. I guess our tastes change as we get older.

Tempest

Compared to the games that followed, Star Voyager seems lame. This, I agree. However, Star Voyager was something else in its day. It looked great compared to the other offerings of the time. Tastes change over time, especially now that we have the benefit of hindsight. Phasor Patrol rules, but it came after. In their time, ALL Imagic games were something special to me. Maybe it was the cool packaging, or maybe it was the games, in general, were of much higher caliber than the offerings from Atari. I think Imagic had some of the best games, only bested by Activision. Not all Activision games were that good either... remember Oink. But I digress ... Star Voyager was a fun game in it's time. It just didn't stand the test of time as well as Pitfall or Space Invaders. It was bested by later games on the 2600 where as Pitfall, etc.. had no real competition.

Just my humble opinion : )

BTW: Cosmic Ark Rules !!!!!!!!

-Lee

And well stated! In fact, what I forgot to mention on my last reply was that, as far as I'm concerned, the absolutely best FPS (or sort-of-first-person shooter) ever made for the VCS was Imagic's Moonsweeper. It even beats Solaris for sheer playability. (And it's TOUGH -- my kinda space game!)

CF

In their time, ALL Imagic games were something special

That is so true. Like I said above not only was I was blown away, but even if you read the contemporary reviews of the day they echoed the same sentiments to Demon Attack / Star Voyage as being revolutionary. I should really scan some of them as they show the mindset of the time, and are good fun reading.

Yep, i also think Star Voyager is boring. It´s not a crap-game but it gets boring after a few minutes.

I just think it´s not as good as you would expect an Imagic

Game to be.

Just compare it with Cosmic Ark, Demon Attack or Atlantis

and you´ll see what i mean...