IGNORED

Crypts of Chaos

DuckandCover

The recent "favorite game you have now that you didn't have as a kid" thread got me thinking about something that I was hoping to get a few opinions on.

Back in the day, one game that I always wanted, and never managed to get my hands on, was 20th Century Fox's Crypts of Chaos. I was big into the role-playing thing back then, and the idea of a game where you searched for treasure in foul dungeons while slaying terrible monsters was right up my alley. Alas, despite the best efforts of me and my father, we never located a copy.

Fast forward years later when I begin collecting Atari carts again. Through Ebay I managed to locate a copy of Crypts of Chaos at a very reasonable price, finally fulfilling my long standing curiousity. Interestingly, the seller I bought the cart from listed the game under this title: Crypts of Chaos: Worst Game Ever? He actually stated in his auction description that he and his kids hated the game, and that their dislike was a primary reason for his decision to auction it off.

Having clocked several hours with the game, I honestly don't think it's bad at all. For the 2600, I thought it was pretty innovative. Sometimes, when I get in a dungeon crawling mood, I enjoy hunting through the Crypts, disposing of monsters and claiming the treasure tucked in their lairs.

I guess I'm wondering what other players think. Is the game commonly reviled, or do others find the merit in it that I do? Just wondering.

[ 05-23-2002: Message edited by: duckandcover ]

I think it falls into the category of games that are good games... but only if you can figure it out. E.T. is another game like this... if you don't take the time to figure it out, it just remains a frustrating mess of a game.

I have to admit though, that I've yet to take the time to figure this game out so, I could easily be completely wrong about it. However, as for it being the worst game ever, I really doubt it can compete against these...

--Zero

moycon

WTF!!! Why is "A Boy and His Blob" on that list!!!??? That game was awesome. Stupid Crappy Ass list  

Yeah, what the heck is their problem!?

I LOVED that game as a kid.

Maybe we are the only two people that think it's great.

As for Crypts of Chaos, I can't figure it out. It just sits in my cart bin, lonely and unwanted.

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

As you may know, the game is impossible to beat since your character loses energy faster than you can replenish it. Perhaps someone can fix this?

Done!

Just change the value at $0be7 from $0f to $07, $03, $01 or $00 (no more energy loss at all).