IGNORED

Arcades you hated till playing original/good port

Defender really stands out in my mind. I would insert my quarter at the arcades, last about four seconds and then slap myself for wasting my money. Then my parents got me the 2600 version. Awesome!!! For once I could actually play an actual GAME, rather than "Watch George Disappear."

Not quite the same thing, but: I never finished Space Ace in the arcade. Can't say I really hated it. It's just that, after so many allowances down the drain, I got frustrated and gave up. But when I bought the PC version, I played that thing over and over until I finally won. Not having to pop in quarter pair after quarter pair is much less draining on the wallet and the psyche. I think I also set it on Infinite Lives, which is MUCH better than having to start over every time.

Not that I dislike the coinop Joust, but I think Joust on the Atari 8-bit works better than the coinop. In the coinop you have to flap more frantically to get your ostrich to lift off, which is just tiring in a Decathlon sort of way.

Also, the sprites are smaller on the A8 so the playfield feels less cramped.

I also prefer 2600 Space Invaders to the real thing. Because there are fewer invaders in the 2600 version, you get to play through more waves which I feel makes the game more exciting.

It just seems to take forever to clear a wave in the coinop SI.