IGNORED

Chip8 and SuperChip8 emulator beta release

pirx

Hello,

I have a special treat for all you retro computing fans - Chip8 virtual machine emulator.

Chip8 is a assembler-like language from RCA's TELMAC 1800, COSMAC VIP, ETI 660, DREAM 6800 and other strange machines from the 70's.

The emulator comes on a single density disk half-full with games and other Chip8 software I found with google. There must be more games somewhere as this set does not contain original games shipped with TELMAC (but I am not so sure).

A bit of novelty is added here by emulating SuperChip8 - a version developed for HP48 programmable calculator in the 90's. There are some SuperChip8 games included, too.

There are several areas where this emulator could be improved. First of all I haven't tested all the games. Some routines are too slow (like screen scrolling or sprites), some are too fast what results in quite unpleasant speed of emulation.

In Chip8 mode (smaller resolution) it is possible to speed up emulation by pressing [start] button.

[Esc] returns to the file selector.

File can be downloaded from this address:

http://5oft.com/filez/chip8beta.atr

More info about Chip8: http://www.pdc.kth.se/~lfo/chip8/CHIP8.htm

I am looking forward for comments!

pawel /pirx/ kalinowski

chip8beta.zip