IGNORED

I want the FB3 to be... an Intellivision?

jbanes

What do you think of this idea?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this idea?

• Awesome idea!
    • Stupid.
    • Say Wha?!?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I like the Intellivision idea, but it needs to be something special. If it contained ALL of the Mattell and Imagic games, as many Activision games as could be found, and maybe even the TRON games, I'd be sold at once.

If it's the usual re-packing of Space Armada etc. that we've seen in other PnP devices, and the console-based Lives! discs, I'd have to pass, even if they included authentic controllers.

I like the Intellivision idea, but it needs to be something special. If it contained ALL of the Mattell and Imagic games, as many Activision games as could be found, and maybe even the TRON games, I'd be sold at once.

If it's the usual re-packing of Space Armada etc. that we've seen in other PnP devices, and the console-based Lives! discs, I'd have to pass, even if they included authentic controllers.

Actually, their Live! discs do have the Activision and IMagic materials. Specifically, you need their "Intellivision Rocks!" product. I imagine the big problem was in securing the rights to these titles from Activision.

Also, Curt has put a bid in to do a REAL Intellivision Flashback! Woohoo! Let's all tell Intellivision Productions how much we REALLY want Curt to do the work! :D

(Please be kind and use the "General Comments" address rather than the Sales or Tech Support addresses.)

Edited by jbanes

Actually, their Live! discs do have the Activision and IMagic materials. Specifically, you need their "Intellivision Rocks!" product. I imagine the big problem was in securing the rights to these titles from Activision.

Yes, I bought and enjoyed the CD games for PC -- in fact, I bought Lives! twice so I could play it on modern systems. I was talking about the console versions (Playstation, PS2, Cube, XBOX), which were cut down to Mattel properties only.

Obviously "more is better" -- I think we all know that, right? I like the Imagic Intelly games the best, but would ADORE a PnP with Dreadnaught Factor on it.

Yes, I bought and enjoyed the CD games for PC -- in fact, I bought Lives! twice so I could play it on modern systems. I was talking about the console versions (Playstation, PS2, Cube, XBOX), which were cut down to Mattel properties only.

I'm guessing that Activision doesn't want any competition to their Anthology collections. Ergo, they won't release console rights. However, if the Flashback 2 is any indication, they have no problem with PnP devices. So let's cross our fingers.

Personally, I would buy the unit even if it only had Mattel/INTV property. Games like Diner, Space Battle, Thin Ice, and Shark! Shark! would make the unit more than worth it. Activision/IMagic games would just be icing on the cake. :D

Maybe, if they had the right controls (AT LAST).

I think that's a given. If the controls are wrong, then it's not really an Intellivision. Not to mention that it will be amazingly difficult to play Space Battle. ;)

I like icing on my cake, though.

Who doesn't? Cake is good. Cake with icing is better. That's a basic law of nature. :P

On another topic, I'd love to hear from a few of the people who continue to vote "stupid". Now that Curt is officially pursuing this idea, what are your objections?

Good idea, as you say, we have all that needs to make it, except the contract between IntellivisionLives and Atari. Even though it's unlikely, it's a very good idea to make a Fb based on Intellivision. But there's a problem, what about the controllers? I heard they were pretty crappy/weak at the time, so could gamers now adapt well to that interface?

Edited by Atari_kid

Good idea, as you say, we have all that needs to make it, except the contract between IntellivisionLives and Atari.

Actually, Curt is pursuing this by himself. (Or I should say, he's pursuing it on behalf of his company.) So hopefully we can cut out the middle man. :D

The downside is that Intellivision Productions would need to secure the necessary funding for the project. If I'm not mistaken, they haven't been the funding source for the previous attempts. They merely licensed out the necessary rights, then allowed the PnP company to take all the risk/reap all the rewards.

But there's a problem, what about the controllers? I heard they were pretty crappy/weak at the time, so could gamers now adapt well to that interface?

The controllers should be reproduced just as the Atari ones were. They were generally fine, except that the side buttons were bloody hard to press. Merely changing the style of the button would fix that issue. In fact, the entire controller would have the benefit of modern materials and electronics, so it would probably end up superior to the original. :)

Either reproduce them exactly, or turn the thing sideways, like an old SNES pad, with a numberpad in the middle. Or like the Jaguar, no probs there.

But J's right, even if it was just a reproduction with the same format, it'd still have the benefit of the latest tech inside of it, and who knows? People might buy the system to rip the controllers for legit INTV hardware like some people did with FB2

Oh, and I don't know why Activision would have a problem with makeing carts for a old ass system, after all, even if they did, it's not exactly "competing" with PS2, X-Box and GameCube. I think they'd whole heartedly accept it actually, after all, which makes more business scense? One PnP with all your games for $20, or individual carts with a few games for $5 each, and you'd have to buy something like 5 or 6 carts to get the whole collection.

Personally, I'm sick of all the PnP crap out there. What's the point? It's supposed to be convienant, but you have to take one off and put another one on to play different games, unless you just 'happen' to have all your faves on one system. A single old system with carts, even if only a few are made, makes more scense to me, especially if the pinout just happens to mean you can play your classics on it sstill.

I'd buy it.

Edited by Video