IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 26: Spitfire Attack

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over, no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Spitfire Attack and compare further scores, feel free to do so!

Jump into the cockpit and pull back on the throttle! Fly past the enemy's lines and take out their artillery as soon as possible, because this week's game is Spitfire Attack!

Game Information

• Game Name: Spitfire Attack
  • Released By: Milton Bradley, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Harder Game
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect
  • Game Mode: Game 5
  • Chosen By: Dan Iacovelli

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Jan 17th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be iguana! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 178,500 (keilbaca) [+11]
  2. 159,250 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 111,610 (SpiceWare) [+9]
  4. 52,760 (LarcenTyler) [+8]
  5. 48,100 (Galaga_Freak) [+7]
  6. 41,100 (Robert M) [+6]
  7. 33,500 (Mind Game) [+5]
  8. 18,100 (Omegamatrix) [+4]
  9. 10,500 (scogey) [+3]
  10. 5200 (Dan Iacovelli) [+2]

Best Tips

• LarcenTyler

Bounties and Challenges

• Beat Keilbaca! - Beat keilbaca's score this week, and you get his points too! (keilbaca successfully defends!)
  • Legend of the Air - Score 500,000 or higher, and get 3 bonus points! (No Legends!)

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Default Mode)
  1. 116,700 (Christian L Keilback)
  2. 57,940 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
  3. 50,570 (Alan W Hewston)

Current Standings

1. Coming Eventually...

Member List

iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli

Scoring Points in Spitfire Attack

• 100pts for each AA gun destroyed
  • 100pts for each Ammo dump Destroyed
  • 500pts for the each enemy fighter plane shot down
  • There seems to be some kind of a bug in the scoring system that often causes your score to be lower than it "should" be. The cause of this is still undetermined.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, ATARIPITBULL was nice enough to scan it for us! Check it out over in this thread. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't really have any specific hints, but it's still worth reading so you know what's going on.

Time to dig out my inverted stick. When I did the record, I HATE flying controls, so I took a CX-40, swapped the up and down. That's my tip of the week.
And right after reading the manual, I gain some information that helps me get a better score. Here are my personal tips:

-Enemy planes won't be able to shoot at you untill their propellors are visible. Once they get close enough, they will rise toward the top of the screen, at which point you will generally be shot down. Therefore you should try to take them out before they get too close.

-Even if an enemy gets too close, try diving and/or turning to one side, since they have to ascend a certain distance before they can actually shoot you down, and from what I've seen, you can't be shot down from an enemy who isn't on the screen.

-If you see weird black things appearing at random on your screen, you're under attack by AA guns. Quickly shoot the nearest one (kind of L shaped) before you go down.

-Ammunition dumps aren't worth the trouble of trying to shoot at them since they don't do anything to harm you, and they're only worth 100 points. AA guns should only be shot at if you're being shot at by one. Concentrate mostly on the enemy planes, and make the ground targets secondary targets.

--Ze_ro

I have a good guess who'll take top score this week! Keilbaca holds the world record I think.  :cool:  Great game though that no one ever seems to talk about.

997740[/snapback]

Yep, that's me.

Time to dig out my inverted stick. When I did the record, I HATE flying controls, so I took a CX-40, swapped the up and down. That's my tip of the week.

orignally, I was going to pass on this been busy with other stuff

but I had to look though my collection and look through the games being used before I said I pick this one.

I have the flight commnader controller,but it broke on me.

you can just use a joystick though.

as for scoreing points:

100pts for each AA gun destroyed

100pts for each Ammo dump Destroyed

500pts for the each enemy fighter plane shot down

I'll give the game atry this week.

"have a good mission! happy hunting"

Edited by Dan Iacovelli

:ponder:

998077[/snapback]

Hey Keilbaca, since you are the world record holder on this game, any chance you are willing to put up a bounty to inspire the masses? :ponder:

Cheers!

998253[/snapback]

Sure! If you can beat my score (for the hsc, as it will most likely go beyond the current world record score, and you can bet it'll be on video tape ;)), you will get my points for this week.

Hi there!

Sure! If you can beat my score (for the hsc, as it will most likely go beyond the current world record score, and you can bet it'll be on video tape ;)), you will get my points for this week.

Cool, thanks for those in advance! :lol:

Greetings,

Manuel

998381[/snapback]

:ponder:

post-4191-1137009426_thumb.jpg

Nobody has instructions?  I know I'm about to die when the bottom starts flashing red, but don't know what triggers it, and thus don't know how to avoid it.

998543[/snapback]

From what I figured out is this.

When you're shooting the stuff on the ground, you aim your plane lower. Eventually, you will see random spots show up on the screen, to simulate you're going through clouds. That's your time to pull up.

Because of this, I almost never shoot the stuff on the ground, I just aim for the planes.

Edited by keilbaca

Points are either 100 or 500, yet we're getting "odd" scores.

Looks like if you hit something while the points are "counting up" from the prior target, then you'll end up not getting your full points for the first target. For example, I hit a plane, then immediately hit a ammo depot - instead of 600 points I only had 380. I suspect I hit the depot when the points had counted up to 280.

Ah - I thought the flickering stuff was enemy fire.

998554[/snapback]

according to instructions, it was enemy flak fire. however, I never get that, because I never go for the ammo depots or AA guns.

Points are either 100 or 500, yet we're getting "odd" scores. 

Looks like if you hit something while the points are "counting up" from the prior target, then you'll end up not getting your full points for the first target.  For example, I hit a plane, then immediately hit a ammo depot - instead of 600 points I only had 380.  I suspect I hit the depot when the points had counted up to 280.

998594[/snapback]

Sounds like a programming error. Any programmers wanna take a look at this?

Edited by keilbaca