IGNORED

2006 Mini Game Compo

Cybergoth

I agree; difficulty balancing is very hard.

Yup. If you make it too easy, hard core gamers will complain and the game will not become addicting to them. If you start too hard, occasional gamers will be annoyed and probably frustrated too soon.

Incidentally, that is IMO one problem with Robot City 1K 1.0 - since the 1st level is deterministic and somewhat slow, it didn't take long to find a pattern that works 100% of the time. And after finding that pattern, getting through the 1st level is just tedium, especially as with no score/timer there is no incentive to finding a different/better pattern for that level. Fortunately, it gets harder and more

interesting immediately after that. :)

Looks like I got the balance quite right. :)

I'm done evaluating 20 of the 1K games. Bubbles remains because I can't find the instructions. The readme says they are in the d64 file, but I don't see them. I'm new to the C64 emulator, so thanks in advance for any help.

:idea: Try downloading here:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=33458&show=notes

Contains the reader too.

Hey, congrats for the silver medal Thomas! Robot City almost made the rank it deserved (#1!) ;)

I voted Vulcano somewhere in the middle of the field (e.g. equal to Kilodium).

I had it significantly above Kilodium, since Kilodium IMO is almost unplayable.

Hey, congrats for the silver medal Thomas! Robot City almost made the rank it deserved (#1!) ;)

IMO Gymnopedies was better (despite some gameplay flaws).

I had it significantly above Kilodium, since Kilodium IMO is almost unplayable.

Yes, but the graphics are sooo nice. :) (still I am surprised that it scored that high)

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

of Kilodoium? well... compared to 2600...yes... ;)

A8 couldn't look as nice or smooth either.

But I agree about Robot City - fun game, congratulations Thomas. I really look forward to the 4k version :)

I'm glad PSW's Bounced64 ranked as high as it did (#7), with absolutely no audio, and as little graphics as can be imagined.

I'm the guy that submitted Ants. Since the update, I've been making it better and better (at least IMO.) I'll upload the absolute final version on August 20, 10 days before the deadline (and my sister's birthday, BTW.) I've started a thread about it in this forum. The one uploaded on the Compo site is version 2, and the one in "Ants for 2600" topic is version 6, so there's a big difference in terms of quality.

• 1 month later...