IGNORED

Right Button?

pacc76

I took my Atari 7800 out to play it before I sell it, and for some reason the right button on the controller won't work. I tried the other controller and it's the same thing. Is there some setting that's on that I need to turn off, or is there some way of fixing this? Thanks!

Both of the action buttons on a working Atari 7800 controller should work independently in two-button 7800 games and should also "map" to the CX-40's single action button on single-button 7800 games (and on all 2600 games). This is possible because both buttons are wired together to the 2600 trigger input, but are also wired seperately to the two potentiometer (paddle) inputs.

To diagnose the problem, this is the first thing I would try: plug in a 2600 game and see if both buttons on the 7800 controller work. If they do not, it is almost certainly a mechanical problem with the controller or a bad joystick cable. If both buttons work in 2600 mode but only one works in 7800 mode, it could be either a controller problem (a bad cable or a bad resistor) or a problem with the port itself. To test the port, try a two-player 2600 paddle game (if you have a set of working paddles) and see if both paddles work. If neither do, it's a problem with the power pin, and if only one of them does, it's a problem with the potentiometer inputs. If they both work, you'll probably need to replace either your joystick cable (more likely) or one of the resistors inside the joystick.

Edited by jaybird3rd

Is there any way to fix it?  Tried em in the second port and again not working.  Thanks for the advice so far .. and I have no idea what a potentiometer is.

999124[/snapback]

What games did you try them on, we need more information from you if you want answers.

Mitch

Also, the left button doesn't work with the 2600 games either.

999126[/snapback]

You said earlier that the right button wasn't working. Is this the case for both 2600 and 7800 games? Also, does the left button work with 7800 games? Make sure you test with a 7800 game that uses both buttons independently (Asteroids, Xevious, etc.)

A potentiometer is the "dial" inside of Atari paddle controllers. The inputs used for these are also used by the 7800 controller buttons (in two-button mode). See my earlier post for a clarification about what needs to be fixed.

Edited by jaybird3rd

So, the left button does not seem to work with either 2600 or 7800 games.  What about the right button?  Is it working with 2600 games, or is it only broken in 7800 mode?

It sounds to me like you've got some bad joysticks.

999165[/snapback]

Right buttonn works fine. If the joysticks are broken, is it possible to fix them? Also, any idea what I could get for the system? It has the original box and foam packing inserts.

Right buttonn works fine.  If the joysticks are broken, is it possible to fix them?  Also, any idea what I could get for the system?  It has the original box and foam packing inserts.

999170[/snapback]

It still seems a little strange to me that the same button could be broken on two different joysticks, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Are you certain you've tried both joysticks in both controller ports? Does the right button work on 2600 games, or 7800 games, or both (you started out the thread by saying that it was the right button that was broken, but now it works fine ...)?

If indeed the joysticks are broken, you'll either have to replace the cable or one of the dome switches inside the controller. I couldn't tell you which without more troubleshooting (and much more specific information on what is happening). Most 7800 consoles seem to sell for anywhere between $20 and $40 depending on what condition they are in and how many games are included.

So, the left button does not seem to work with either 2600 or 7800 games.  What about the right button?  Is it working with 2600 games, or is it only broken in 7800 mode?

It sounds to me like you've got some bad joysticks.

999165[/snapback]

Right buttonn works fine. If the joysticks are broken, is it possible to fix them? Also, any idea what I could get for the system? It has the original box and foam packing inserts.

999170[/snapback]

I'll offer you $25 as is for the lot of it. I pay shipping.

Edited by silver_surfer

With the box you could probably get $60 +/- on ebay.

999552[/snapback]

Thanks, Danno. I think I've figured out that it's just a bad left button. I have gotten one of the controllers' left button to work sometimes, the other one will not work at all. I opened up the controller and guess that one of the small boards that is actually contacted by the button woul dhave to be replaced.

Just to clear things up, the right buttons on both controllers have always worked, it was a typo in my original question.

So does anyone have any suggestions? Just replace the boards? Is it worth it to repair the controllers if I'm just going to sell it anyway? Also, are the boards interchangeable (i.e. if I wanted to swap in the board for the right button in the place of the left button).

So does anyone have any suggestions?  Just replace the boards?  Is it worth it to repair the controllers if I'm just going to sell it anyway?  Also, are the boards interchangeable (i.e. if I wanted to swap in the board for the right button in the place of the left button).

999639[/snapback]

Yes they are interchangeable. So if you wanted, you could take one of the working right button boards and swap it for a non-working left button board and have one working controller.

Mitch