IGNORED

Ladybug - 2600

johnnywc

But I still think they move too fast on the later levels.

You played a lot of games, so you know how to crack this game, but trust me: the speed of the insects is a little bit too much.

Please take my advice.

I'm a pretty good video game player.

Not good enough it seems :P

Any chance for a non-flickering PAL60 version?

??? :)

John,

I don't notice much difference when switching Lady Bug's speed.

You're right - there was a bug in the code (and not the good kind!) :)

I really like the intelligence of the insects!

Thanks. It's the original one I used way back when, but since your LB wasn't fast enough you got killed all the time, so I dumbed it down. With the faster LB I think it's pretty close to perfect.

But I still think they move too fast on the later levels.

You played a lot of games, so you know how to crack this game, but trust me: the speed of the insects is a little bit too much.

Please take my advice.

I'm a pretty good video game player.

8)

One of the bugs caused your ladybug not to move fast enough left-to-right. Try this version and let me know. BTW - you should play the MAME version - the bugs move A LOT faster on the higher levels than this version! :)

Keep practicing!

ladybug_NTSC.bin

ladybug_PAL60.bin

Any chance for a non-flickering PAL60 version?

??? :)

Like I already said above: Since you changed the switches, both of the remaining available settings now cause flicker and make the grey look purple. Probably because the luminance is different now.

Hi Thomas,

What settings were you using for the switches?

Left A/B Right A/B?

I'll make sure one of those luminance pairs is available in the two remaining settings.

Thanks!

Left A/B Right A/B?

Left B or A and Right A (Left B slightly prefered). The mixed luminances should be identical with those settings.

I'll make sure one of those luminance pairs is available in the two remaining settings.

Thanks! Then I can continue testing. :)

Hello all,

Last build for the night. Used up most of the ROM.. :)

- adjusted the luminances to be PAL60 friendly

- veggie point score is displayed on the bottom of the screen for a few seconds when it is eaten (regular maze only)

- the PART is displayed in the GAME OVER screen now to show you what level you reached

- the skill level will flash on the title screen if the left difficultly switch is in the 'A' position (slow ladybug)

Still need to free up a bit to make the fast/slow ladybug setting persistent during a game (although I don't mind being able to switch in game either)...

High score with this version (STANDARD, fast ladybug):

Part 20: 252,500 (no specials! :( )

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

ladybug_NTSC.bin

ladybug_PAL60.bin

- adjusted the luminances to be PAL60 friendly

Thanks! :)

(although I don't mind being able to switch in game either)...

Me neither, as long as you also have some advantages when playing the harder setting.

Part 11: 163.990

BTW: "No specials" means what? :?

(although I don't mind being able to switch in game either)...

Me neither, as long as you also have some advantages when playing the harder setting.

There won't be any advantages playing the harder setting (that's what makes it harder! :)). Now that there is a visual cue on the title page as to what level you're playing, the player shouldn't *want* to switch in-game (except to add a challenge when going from fast lb-> slow lb or vice-versa). I honestly don't see anyone switching except at the beginning of a game if they accidentally start a game in the wrong mode.

Of course, if I can't free up a bit it will have to stay the way it is. I must say, it's much easier to find a byte of ROM than a bit of RAM! :)

Part 11: 163.990

BTW: "No specials" means what? :?

Good score! Yes - I managed to go 20 levels *without* seeing an 'S'!!! :( Ah, felt just like ol' times playing LB on the Coleco... :)

New high score: 325,200 (2 specials)

I think it's pretty close to where I want it. Do you like the veggie point display? I think it adds a nice touch.

Thanks for the feedback!!

There won't be any advantages playing the harder setting (that's what makes it harder! :)).

That's one way which adds a modification of difficulty.

My idea would be to add some extra strategy to the game. Like I described above, this works really good in Star Fire.

Good score! Yes - I managed to go 20 levels *without* seeing an 'S'!!! :( Ah, felt just like ol' times playing LB on the Coleco... :)

New high score: 325,200 (2 specials)

I understand. My score was done with 1 special (and I doubt I will ever make it another one :)).

Do you like the veggie point display? I think it adds a nice touch.

Yup. I like it. IMO it could be displayed a bit longer.

Hello all,

*Another* build... :) Used up some of that free ROM in bank 1 (down to 18 bytes)...

- fixed a bug that was keeping the insects from appearing on the title screen

- modified the title screen insect init and moving logic

- changed the color of the veggie point display to glow white instead of purple/pink

- lengthened the time the veggie point display is shown

- fixed the color of the eggplant for PAL60 (this was done in the last build)

Have fun!

EDIT: Fixed the error that stopped the game from playing. Gotta hate those "branch out of range" errors! :)

ladybug_NTSC.bin

ladybug_PAL60.bin

Edited by johnnywc

Great -- now I can't even start playing! The first ladybug comes onto the screen, and then it goes back to the title screen.

Same deal here. I tried the PAL60 and NTSC versions and it's the same deal with both. :(

My bad (I probably shouldn't be uploading here at work! :)). Silly branch out of range error... should be fixed now (previous post edited)...

Great -- now I can't even start playing! The first ladybug comes onto the screen, and then it goes back to the title screen.

Same deal here. I tried the PAL60 and NTSC versions and it's the same deal with both. :(

My bad (I probably shouldn't be uploading here at work! :)). Silly branch out of range error... should be fixed now (previous post edited)...

Cool. Thanks. It works now!

- veggie point score is displayed on the bottom of the screen for a few seconds when it is eaten (regular maze only)

Cool that you were able to add this :thumbsup:

To move the veggie score to the bottom clearly is the best approach. And the switch to a white text in the later build works even better.

One suggestion for further refinement: - would it be possible to have the veggie score overwrite the multiplier instead of the regular score? Would permit continued display of the main score, and increase the pop-up effect of the veggie score. It might work good enough to drop the flashing then (which is a bit loud IMO).

If the other objects on the same line would pose a problem in implementing this, I think they could just be switched off for the short moment the veggie score is being displayed, as they are only static information during play anyway.

- the PART is displayed in the GAME OVER screen now to show you what level you reached

That's a nice addition. Also, because now it gives a real purpose to that screen ;)

E.g., the "(last) game statistics" screen.

Hmm... what about swapping the "game over" and "part x" displays?

That way all stats would be grouped together at the bottom. Feels more natural, IMO.

Since I am at it, and if memory limitations allow, why not replace the "game over" text by "last game" or "last game results" all-together?

- the skill level will flash on the title screen if the left difficultly switch is in the 'A' position (slow ladybug)

Just thinking...what about displaying the "s" letter symbol from the game screen next (or below) the level text for that purpose?

Would be a much clearer marking IMO...

- the back-track variation for the title screen bugs is another neat extension and cool idea. But it feels a bit unmotivated at the moment.

An idea: what about stopping the bug, inserting a vertical frame, freeze it for a short moment , and then having it backtrack?

The hoped for simulated effect = the bug enters as usual, suddenly notices the player starring at the screen, turns to him, freezes in schock for a moment, and then runs back in fear)

... Hope I am not overdoing it with my nitpicking :roll:

Cheers, Eric

John,

I played the arcade version and all I can say is you did one hell of a job in converting it to the noble Atari 2600.

And you were right about the speed of the insects.

They really move fast in the arcade version (although I have the feeling they don't bother you as much as in your version).

One thing I know for sure: If Coleco would have released this version back then, everybody would be stunned to the bone.

It really is superb.

8)

Part 13: 220480 :)

Great score Thomas! The game really starts to cook around that time - my heart is still pounding after one of those games... :)

Cool that you were able to add this :thumbsup:

To move the veggie score to the bottom clearly is the best approach. And the switch to a white text in the later build works even better.

One suggestion for further refinement: - would it be possible to have the veggie score overwrite the multiplier instead of the regular score?

That would be very difficult to implement (seeing that I have 0 ROM left in that bank)... :) I was surprised I was able to squeeze it in at all - swapping the pointers for the score display with the veggie value was the only method that would fit into the limited ROM space. I do see your point, but I find the flashing score to be just "harsh" enough to get the attention it needs. It felt "right" when I was playing, although I'm not too sure on the color (maybe a quieter color?).

That's a nice addition. Also, because now it gives a real purpose to that screen ;)

E.g., the "(last) game statistics" screen.

Hmm... what about swapping the "game over" and "part x" displays?

That way all stats would be grouped together at the bottom. Feels more natural, IMO.

Since I am at it, and if memory limitations allow, why not replace the "game over" text by "last game" or "last game results" all-together?

I like the GAME OVER text, so that will probably stay (it's standard end-game speak :)). The reason why the PART is on the top is because I'm sharing code with the START screen (I was able to add it with only a jsr). Again, very important with the limited ROM space (we're talking a few bytes here). I'll see if I can get it on the bottom of the screen, closer to the veggie/score.

Just thinking...what about displaying the "s" letter symbol from the game screen next (or below) the level text for that purpose?

Would be a much clearer marking IMO...

Again - great suggestion. I'd personally rather have it say "SLOW" or "FAST" underneath the skill level. 2nd choice would be something like you suggested. Third choice is the only one that can be done in 10 bytes or less (flash the score). If ROM becomes available I'll move up the chain of preferred solutions. :)

- the back-track variation for the title screen bugs is another neat extension and cool idea. But it feels a bit unmotivated at the moment.

An idea: what about stopping the bug, inserting a vertical frame, freeze it for a short moment , and then having it backtrack?

The hoped for simulated effect = the bug enters as usual, suddenly notices the player starring at the screen, turns to him, freezes in schock for a moment, and then runs back in fear)

That does sound more appealing; unfortunately it would take many bytes of ROM that just aren't there at the moment. The reverse code took 18 bytes. That sounds more like 50... :)

... Hope I am not overdoing it with my nitpicking :roll:

Not at all! I appreciate the good ideas and until code freeze, if I can squeeze it in I will!

I have a nitpick - does the "pause" have to timeout after a few minutes? Is it supposed to? I'd rather it be a permanent pause.

It doesn't have to be. Just thinking about monitor/tv burn in. I may be able to have the screen go black after 8 minutes. I agree with you on this one. Or, I could extend the timeout to be a half hour (as supercat suggested).

108,530 on level 10

The screen scrolled once on level 9. I think the bugs where lined up horizontally when it happened.

D'oh!! I thought the screen rolls were squashed! I'll have to look at the code and see if I can optimize a little more. Thanks for the feedback and good score!

I have a nitpick - does the "pause" have to timeout after a few minutes? Is it supposed to? I'd rather it be a permanent pause.

It doesn't have to be. Just thinking about monitor/tv burn in. I may be able to have the screen go black after 8 minutes. I agree with you on this one. Or, I could extend the timeout to be a half hour (as supercat suggested).

If you are worried about burn-in, I'd rather see the colors cycle (as is common on other 2600 games) or, 2nd-best, the screen blank than have the pause just quit on you - though 30 minutes is probably good enough, I suppose. ;)

If you are worried about burn-in, I'd rather see the colors cycle (as is common on other 2600 games) or, 2nd-best, the screen blank than have the pause just quit on you - though 30 minutes is probably good enough, I suppose. ;)

Well, with 6 bytes I was able to do the following:

- pause is unlimited now

- after 8 minutes, the screen will go blank

- after another 8 minutes, the screen will be displayed, still paused (cycle repeats)

- move joystick or flip color/bw to unpause at any time

Seems to be a good solution. :)

As for all the other suggestions, the ROM just isn't there right now (although I don't see anything that is critical). I am going to focus on trying to see if I can eliminate that screen roll.

Thanks!

ladybug_NTSC.bin

ladybug_PAL60.bin