IGNORED

Best Games for Testing 2600 Consoles?

A.J. Franzman

For those who work on the VCS without expensive test gear or a Diagnostic Cartridge, what are some good game cartridges for testing specific aspects of the console's functionality? I'd like to limit the list to about R5-R6 and lower. For example, I know the Color Bar Generator is the best way to tune the color pot, but at R9 it's not very likely to appear in my collection anytime soon.

Here's what I use so far:

Missile Command (all joystick directions + buttons, both ports)

Warlords or Video Olympics (all 4 paddles)

Space Invaders (difficulty switches)

Pitfall/Pitfall II (color, sound)

Would any particular games be good or bad choices to put the CPU, RIOT and TIA ICs through a good workout? Is it a safe bet that if the unit has no issues with joystick and paddle inputs, that Keyboard Controller/Video Touch Pad/Kids' Controller inputs, Driving Controller and other odd controllers should work also, or should they be specifically tested too? Would there be any reason to test the various bankswitching modes? Is there anything else I left out?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Another good game to use to test the color is Krull. The horse scenes actually have a two tone green at the bottom...but if the pots aren't quite right they both look to be one color. In fact, I thought for the longest time it was just one color on my 7800 until I plugged Krull into my heavey sixer and saw there were in fact 2 different green being used there.

• 2 weeks later...
For those who work on the VCS without expensive test gear or a Diagnostic Cartridge, what are some good game cartridges for testing specific aspects of the console's functionality? I'd like to limit the list to about R5-R6 and lower. For example, I know the Color Bar Generator is the best way to tune the color pot, but at R9 it's not very likely to appear in my collection anytime soon.

Would any particular games be good or bad choices to put the CPU, RIOT and TIA ICs through a good workout?  Is it a safe bet that if the unit has no issues with joystick and paddle inputs, that Keyboard Controller/Video Touch Pad/Kids' Controller inputs, Driving Controller and other odd controllers should work also, or should they be specifically tested too?  Would there be any reason to test the various bankswitching modes?  Is there anything else I left out?

1000176[/snapback]

I'd have to say Pac Man, or ET, if something goes wrong, the games are not worth anything so you won't loose anything!!!

I think that Albert can probably burn you a copy of the Color Bar Generator (it's worth a PM anyway). The one I use is a copy (from Hozer). I couldn't afford to get a "real" one. :)

Would any particular games be good or bad choices to put the CPU, RIOT and TIA ICs through a good workout?  Is it a safe bet that if the unit has no issues with joystick and paddle inputs, that Keyboard Controller/Video Touch Pad/Kids' Controller inputs, Driving Controller and other odd controllers should work also, or should they be specifically tested too?  Would there be any reason to test the various bankswitching modes?  Is there anything else I left out?

1000176[/snapback]

That's exactly what I use, and it works perfectly.