IGNORED

Chip8 emulator version 1.0

pirx

On 9/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, pirx said:

wow, this is something!

I have this idea to modify the interpreter so it runs from SpartaDOSX from a command line (with ch8 file and config as parameters). 

With a command-line driven assembler it could make a compelling dev setup :)

Would love to see this!

After reading the ABBUC article (Silly Venture 2023 Edition) on CHIP-8, it appears I would need to write the program and then edit the CHIP8.CFG file to run it from the menu.  I was hoping for a more interactive way to develop CHIP-8 programs on the Atari.

2 hours ago, rkindig said:

After reading the ABBUC article (Silly Venture 2023 Edition) on CHIP-8, it appears I would need to write the program and then edit the CHIP8.CFG file to run it from the menu.  I was hoping for a more interactive way to develop CHIP-8 programs on the Atari.

I still need to write the 3rd part of the article series -- on how to develop Chip8 with modern (cross-development) tools. Here is my link list from my notes for the 3rd article:

Octo and C-Octo might be the best starting point.

• Like 1

As for development on the A8: I use the ABBUC Freezer to swap three memory setups on the Atari 8bit

1) Text Editor

2) Chip-8 Assembler

3) Chip-8 Emulator

I agree it would be nice to have an editor and emulator inside the assembler, as kind of an simple IDE. Is possible, just "work". I'm too busy with running ABBUC to do much coding :(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cas said:

As for development on the A8: I use the ABBUC Freezer to swap three memory setups on the Atari 8bit

1) Text Editor

2) Chip-8 Assembler

3) Chip-8 Emulator

I agree it would be nice to have an editor and emulator inside the assembler, as kind of an simple IDE. Is possible, just "work". I'm too busy with running ABBUC to do much coding :(

This is great!  I appreciate the information and certainly appreciate the time constraints on us all.

thank you!

Randy

On 1/12/2024 at 2:06 PM, cas said:

1) Text Editor

2) Chip-8 Assembler

3) Chip-8 Emulator

for 2) are you saying there's a CHIP-8 assembler for the Atari 8-bit?

oh, yes, I'm so sorry. :). I did see that.  Duh!  However, when I tried to use it I could not figure out how to use it.  For instance, I loaded a CHIP8 file in, but then couldn't see or edit the code.  The ASM command SEEMED to work, but then I couldn't save the resulting file to a mounted disk.

Basically, I just couldn't figure out how to use it.  I'm sure it's easy and clear for you, but even your write-up says it's "under-documented".

thanks for your time and patience.

18 hours ago, rkindig said:

The other question I have is about this "ABBUC Freezer" that you mentioned.  Is that something still available?  If not, is there something similar that someone makes?

thanks

The ABBUC Freezer is open hardware (and open software), see

https://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#freezer

ABBUC is currently discussing to create another batch of Freezer modules. But that can take some more months (probably 2nd half of 2024). There have been other people building and offering the Freezer in the past, but I'm not aware of recent offerings.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rkindig said:

oh, yes, I'm so sorry. :). I did see that.  Duh!  However, when I tried to use it I could not figure out how to use it.  For instance, I loaded a CHIP8 file in, but then couldn't see or edit the code.  The ASM command SEEMED to work, but then I couldn't save the resulting file to a mounted disk.

Basically, I just couldn't figure out how to use it.  I'm sure it's easy and clear for you, but even your write-up says it's "under-documented".

thanks for your time and patience.

I will improve the documentation and possibly record a small video on my workflow. I will also create a new version that will work from the command line in SpartaDOS/BEWE-DOS

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rkindig said:

The other question I have is about this "ABBUC Freezer" that you mentioned.  Is that something still available?  If not, is there something similar that someone makes?

thanks

If you own an Eclaire FPGA, you received one for free. ;)

• Like 1

fyi - i've just started doing standalone fileselector-less version of the emulator that would load anything in Sparta.

i am not sure how to deal with config yet.

the worst part is that I cannot seem to get the emu running after (lousy I bet) conversion to MADS ;))))

1 hour ago, cas said:

I will improve the documentation and possibly record a small video on my workflow. I will also create a new version that will work from the command line in SpartaDOS/BEWE-DOS

Fantastic stuff!  Appreciate it!  We're covering CHIP-8 on the Next Without For (http://nextwithoutfor.org) Podcast today and I wanted to cover what's available and coming on the Atari 8-bit line.

I'm eagerly awaiting to see what else comes for CHIP-8 on A8.

thanks!

Randy

Edited by rkindig

first working somewhat version: https://github.com/pkali/Chip-8/blob/develop/chip8.asm

chip8.com

usage:
>chip8 full_path_to_the_game

example:

>chip8 D8:CHIP8GAM>ALIEN.CH8

This is my first command-line app on 8-bitter, I found out that the available docs are pretty vague.

Theoretically, it should work with DOS XL and BW-DOS as I am using `_CRUNCH` method. Pls test... I am testing it on SpartaDosX 4.49c.

missing:

- reading of the config file. oh boy, it was written in a very MAC65 way and I need to redo the whole thing... So no joystick in most games now. I'll possibly add a provision for reading user-defined configs.

- quit to DOS - reset is the way at the moment. SDX warm resets gracefully.

• Like 1

version 2.0

usage: chip8 path_to_a_game [path_to_config_file]

if config file is not specified, it tries to read `"D:CHIP8.CFG"` file.

I had to modify the config itself, new version included.

[Esc] quits gracefully to DOS

[Return] restarts game

Pls tst

chip8.com CHIP8.CFG

• Like 1