IGNORED

how come there is a speedway II...

liquid_sky

I understand "Breakaway IV" -- apparently on some of Atari's '70s arcade games there was a number in the title that represented not the number in a series, but rather the number of players the game supported. Breakaway IV is such because it allows for four players.

That said, I have no idea why it's Speedway II. This is Street Racer, which supports up to 4 players as well. Maybe it's just because of the two "lanes" on-screen?

"Atari brings the computer age home, with two exciting new games that will inspire you to put the Atari down and go do some manual labor. Steer your car left and right, avoiding the evil pixelblops.. its Street Racer With realistic controls, its almost like setting a dryer! And to top that off, we have Speedway II.. its the same damn thing, but with a different label.. Two super games from atari..

[ 05-26-2002: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]

I'm pretty sure Speedway I, and Breakaway I, II, and III were the single-game units that were sold before the Atari... like all the Pong clones. There were dedicated versions of both games, although I'm not sure wether they actually used those names (I think there's more information on these over at Pong Story, but the website is painfully slow at the moment, so I haven't been able to check)

--Zero

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Ze_ro ]