IGNORED

These NES top loader knockoffs any good?

They are a good deal if you are just starting to buy games for the NES and want something cheap and stable. However, there are some games (Tengen games, Castlevania III and others I can't remember) that will not run on them.

The other option is to find a store or online seller that refurbishes the original NES systems. With a clean and restored 72pin connector and a security chip snip they can be pretty much as stable as an NES.

I don't know where you're located, but the board member here OMNE has an online store http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/ which has a set of a refurbished NES along with a wireless gamepad for $85 Canadian/$68US which are guaranteed to be in good shape...

I would expect to pay $30-40US for a refurbished NES anyways, so the additional $$ to have the wireless controller, 1 game, good condition case and the knowledge it was done well by someone here could be worth it to you.

Edited by n8littlefield

I've had really good success with the Yobo system that's being sold on Ebay today for about $30. I haven't gone through any extensive testing mind you, but everything I've thrown into it (including some haked games) have worked fine. The included controllers are pretty cheezy, but if they break the console takes regular NES controllers - the only one of the knockoffs to do that.

Blaze is making a similar device called the RetroCon, but it does not have NES accessory compatibility, so you have to rely on their brand of cheezy controllers. That's why I went Yobo.

I've got a number of NES units around here, but have been using the Yobo because it's compact and reliable. I've also got the NES toploader, but it's output is RF only. And even when you hack it, the composite output doesn't look as good as an original NES. A refurbed original NES is probably the ideal for max compatibility and nostalgia, but the Yobo is a great way to play too.

What he said. I recently acquired a Yobo, and I like it. Small console, sturdy 72-pin cartridge port (no need to go looking for adapters), and I have to say that I even like the controllers. The four-button layout is much better for implementing turbo-fire than the on-off switches used by most other controllers. Still, anyone who doesn't like the controllers has the option of using any controller made for the NES.

The compatibility is what you would expect from a NoaC. So far my success rate has been about 90%, and you can tell the colors and sounds are not quite accurate. But for what it's supposed to be, the Yobo is definitely one of the better options out there.

What he said.  I recently acquired a Yobo, and I like it.  Small console, sturdy 72-pin cartridge port (no need to go looking for adapters), and I have to say that I even like the controllers.  The four-button layout is much better for implementing turbo-fire than the on-off switches used by most other controllers.  Still, anyone who doesn't like the controllers has the option of using any controller made for the NES.

The compatibility is what you would expect from a NoaC.  So far my success rate has been about 90%, and you can tell the colors and sounds are not quite accurate.  But for what it's supposed to be, the Yobo is definitely one of the better options out there.

1002594[/snapback]

Speaking of the NES I just acquired 2 of the following items at a buy 1 get one free deal for a price of $37.70 meaning $30.00 for both, and $7.70 shipping. They currently don't fully work but I know the fix to get them fully operational again instead of just rotating from side to side, here is the item in question:

Oh and for those wanting to know how to fix the arm assembly of their R.O.B. robots, here is a page that walks you through the steps in great detail, I have been assured that this actually does work. I haven't tried it yet but I will after my family and I move to our new location, now here it the page:

NES R.O.B. fix page

RichG1972

post-2131-1137784817.jpg

Edited by RichG1972

I just want to add to this that yesterday, I spent some time restoring the 72-pin connector on my toaster NES. I didn't replace it, I restored the original with just some Wd40, alcohol and patience. It is now easily as reliable as my Yobo (more so as I can play Bad Dudes and Rolling Thunder on it). Seriously, just a bit of time and the toaster can be like you just took it out of the box without even buying a new 72pin. I thought it was wishful thinking to have that type of reliability, but my toaster is now just like new.