IGNORED

Did I damage my atari 7800?

ekloot

I have a question for any of the atari 7800 gurus here. Here's what happened...the other day I was plugging ballblazer into my 7800 and I thought I heard a crack sound. I got nervous and pulled out the cartridge and then re-seated it. When I turned on the system the game didn't work any more. The most I can get out of it is the Atari logo and then a black screen. However all my other 7800 and 2600 games work fine still. Now, I know that ballblazer has that extra chip on it (Pokey) so it is a little different than all my other atari cartridges in that respect...so is it possible that I damaged something on the atari system that interfaces specifically with that game...or did I just break the game? I know the more logical answer is that I just broke that specific game but since it is different than all the others I can't completely come to that conclusion. I couldn't find any broken parts on the game cartridge but I couldn't find any broken pieces or contacts on the atari either. I have another ballblazer on order through ebay but it might not get here until next week and I really want to know if I damaged something on the atari. If no one has any idea then I guess I'll find out when the new ballblazer game gets here though. Thanks for any info anyone has.

Have you tried opening it?

If you find it is irrepairable, try to salvage the Pokey since CC2 users are out there in need of a Pokey.

1002731[/snapback]

POKEY chips are a dime a dozen. Well not a dime but not more than a dollar each.

Edited by silver_surfer

Yeah, I did open the ballblazer cartridge. I couldn't see any damage to it...of course that doesn't mean something isn't broken on it. I did save the board with the Pokey chip on it because I knew people are always looking for those things and I've even kicked around the idea of buying on of those CC2's myself. Thanks for the replies though...it makes me feel a little better knowing that it isn't likely that I damaged the atari itself.

If you've cracked a solder joint, you can always reflow it to get the game working.

Sounds to me like the cart casing is loose or perhaps broken so that it doesn't hold the board very well.

What color is the end label on the cart? If it's red, it might be worth your time to repair the cart.

If you've got Commando lying around, see if it'll play it's music. That, too, will tell you if there's a problem with the 7800.

Personally, I'd be finding out what caysed that crack sound. I'd want to make sure whatever it was didn't damage any more games.

No, its not one of the red label ballblazers...and unfortunately I don't own commando :( otherwise I would try that game. I hear its pretty good anyways. I did try to find out what that crack sound was...but I never could figure it out. The cartridge slot on the atari looks fine (and I looked at it in great detail)...it looks like it is actually pretty well designed to avoid any accidental breakage. But like I said I couldn't find anything obvious that was wrong with the ballblazer cartridge either...even after I took it apart. Like someone else said though, one of the solder joints could have cracked or be a little loose and that might be hard to tell depending on how bad it is. Hopefully the ballblazer cartridge I just ordered off of ebay will be here soon and then I'll know for sure if my atari is okay.

Yeah I actually tried that...but when i put in the bare board I get absolutely nothing on the screen now...not even the atari logo anymore. I think I'm plugging it in the right way...I guess its possible that I'm plugging it in backwards but I don't think I am...and I'm kind of afraid to try plugging it in the other way because if that is the backwards way I'm afraid of damaging something. Just so I know if I'm plugging it in correctly...should the side of the board with the pokey chip and other chip face away from me when I'm plugging in the cartridge?

Just so I know if I'm plugging it in correctly...should the side of the board with the pokey chip and other chip face away from me when I'm plugging in the cartridge?

1003044[/snapback]

Yes, it should face the back of the 7800.

Mitch