IGNORED

NEW Atari PC?

nathanallan

I am in a class at school and mentioned to the teacher my Atari interest, and he told me that Atari was making a new computer.

What's up with this??

Am I missing something?? Is Atari (the new atari) making a computer? Is there somewhere I can read about it???

1003240[/snapback]

He was probably referring to the Atari Flashback 2, which you can read more about elsewhere on this site. That's the only hardware Atari is selling at the moment; Atari hasn't made PCs of any kind since the early 1990s.

Or, he may have been referring to the Flashback 3 rumors. Curt has hinted that there will be a cartridge port of some kind on it, leading many AtariAgers to believe that the FB3 will be a 400/800 clone. Curt is also working on the previously-unreleased Keyboard component for the 7800.

Basically, there's a lot of cool stuff going on with the ancient Atari hardware. Though I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that Atari is "making a new computer".

A lot of people think that way, a new console is called a 'computer', cartridges are called 'cassettes' or 'tapes', and a remote control for a television is called a 'clicker', even though remotes haven't clicked in over 20 years. It's technological ignorance.

I wouldn't mind seeing a re-release of an Atari computer. I think it would be ultra cool to be able to go down and buy a NEW, say, Atari Multi-Mega ST. I think I'll go ahead and throw in my wish list for such a machine:

One piece, with keyboard and computer all in one (sometimes referred to as zero-footprint)

All the frills of hardware with usb, pcmcia(!), cd, the works.

Some kind of Atari-Linux, maybe a Linux version styled after the original os?

VGA or TV output (but no special monitors this time).

Cartridge capable, and let's say, no hdd, everything on rom.

Yeah, that sounds like a neat machine :lust:

A lot of people think that way, a new console is called a 'computer', cartridges are called 'cassettes' or 'tapes', and a remote control for a television is called a 'clicker', even though remotes haven't clicked in over 20 years. It's technological ignorance.

1004628[/snapback]

Amen to that!! (besides thew ignorance part) Remember when remotes didn't have batteries? That was a "clicker"..lol.. And so what if I paid almost $100 bucks for a new a new tape for my kid to play on her gamecube computer? It's the newest fad right? ;)

And so what if I paid almost $100 bucks for a new a new tape for my kid to play on her gamecube computer? It's the newest fad right? ;)

1004685[/snapback]

:lol:

Calling cartridges "tapes" is one thing (lots of people of the pre-VG generation can't tell the difference between a game cartridge and an 8-track tape, which is almost understandable), but calling a DISC a "tape"... pure genius! ;)

1004628[/snapback]

The most frequently-used button on my television remote causes the television set to emit a rather audible "click". Other people might use the channel changer buttons a lot, but I mostly just use "Power" and "Input select".

"Put all those atari tapes away, I keep knocking them on the floor" says my wife today about my Atari 400 carts. It's the only "console" that stays in the living room. Gets the most play. Simply the best.

Yeah, she calls the remote "the clicker" too.

I think a new 8-bit Atari computer *WITH* an IDE HDD, at least 128K and USB would be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Who here would buy an atari computer KIT where you assemble it yourself that made a 16-bit computer that had a serial port, a cart port, and blank chips for the cart? How much would you pay for it? I'd be willing to pay around $70.

Would this be a good way to get people back into computering? I mean like back in the day when you ordered the kits.

Nathan

Who here would buy an atari computer KIT where you assemble it yourself that made a 16-bit computer that had a serial port, a cart port, and blank chips for the cart? How much would you pay for it? I'd be willing to pay around $70.

Would this be a good way to get people back into computering? I mean like back in the day when you ordered the kits.

Nathan

1017701[/snapback]

Well, for something *kinda* like that, check out the XGameStation. It's a game system dev kit, but about as simple as an old Atari - a little more simple, as you have to write the graphic engine yourself.