IGNORED

Silly FB2/Paddle Question

Hi folks

This is my first post after lurking for the past few weeks looking for info on the new FB2 I got for Christmas. Thanks to the operators for such a great site!

This will probably come across as a silly question but I can't seem to find anything about it anywhere so I figured the gurus here are the best folks to ask.

Is there a "proper" way/sequence to attach the paddles? I have to leave the joystick connected to the first port in order to access the paddle games menu. I then launch a game with the joystick. I'm assuming it is ok to disconnect the joystick and connect the paddles when the system is on? If not, how do I go about accessing then using the paddle games?

Reason I ask is that I've already tried swapping the paddles as above with less than stellar results. When I move the paddle, the paddle on the screen just sort of twitches and blinks but doesn't really respond. Is this the pot or the resistor?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Scott

One more thing:

I suspect that the paddles are flaky. Found the instructions on going into the paddle test screen:

Both paddles fire correctly.

Paddle 1 stays on 0 from left to about 75% right then the numbers start jumping around. At 100% right, it returns to 0

Paddle 2 stays on 0 from left to 100% right where it jumps straight to 30.

Are these fixable or should I grab the other set available locally for $6? Not sure if they are any better but it might be worth a try.

Thanks

Scott

Reason I ask is that I've already tried swapping the paddles as above with less than stellar results.  When I move the paddle, the paddle on the screen just sort of twitches and blinks but doesn't really respond.  Is this the pot or the resistor?

1003948[/snapback]

Atari's design for the paddle circuitry makes it rather succeptible to variations in "wiper resistance" (I use the term to refer to any and all sources of electrical resistance between the part of the carbon element nearest the wiper, and the wiper connection that feeds into the 2600). Consequently, old paddle controllers will almost always have a lot of jitter. I've been considering designing and building a paddle mod to permanently alleviate this problem; haven't perceived much interest, though.

Took the paddles apart and opened up the pot casing. There was a fair bit of carbon dust on the element and contacts. Cleaned it all up with some alcohol and now they are sort of functional. Still a little jittery and the full range of on-screen motion happens in the right most 25% of the paddle travel range which makes it a little sensitive but it does work.

I scooped the other set of paddles from eBay anyways. If they work better, great. If not, I'll find some new pots and fix them all up

• 3 weeks later...
Reason I ask is that I've already tried swapping the paddles as above with less than stellar results.  When I move the paddle, the paddle on the screen just sort of twitches and blinks but doesn't really respond.  Is this the pot or the resistor?

1003948[/snapback]

Atari's design for the paddle circuitry makes it rather succeptible to variations in "wiper resistance" (I use the term to refer to any and all sources of electrical resistance between the part of the carbon element nearest the wiper, and the wiper connection that feeds into the 2600). Consequently, old paddle controllers will almost always have a lot of jitter. I've been considering designing and building a paddle mod to permanently alleviate this problem; haven't perceived much interest, though.

1003997[/snapback]

>showing interest<

I've got two sets I've cleaned very well, and they work marginally at best. I've considered replacing with Radio Shack pots...