IGNORED

Are these rare? Atari Age doesn't know!

Chris++

Hiya gang --

A very nice guy named Rick recently bought some old classic gaming magazines from me. As an "extra" in addition to the payment, he sent me a couple of 2600 cartridges.

One is called Tom Boy, and one is called Spider Fighter -- and it's obvious from the anonymous, cartoony label that it's not the Activision release! The company logo says "GCE." Who's this??

He says they're both from Brazil. Atari Age lists the rarity of Tom Boy as "?" and doesn't mention the non-Activision Spider Fighter at all.

The labels are in good-to-fair condition.

Now, here's part two of my dilemma: Do I offer these for sale on the Marketplace board? Or would it be an insult to Rick in light of his "gift"? Lord knows, I need money badly.

Thanks for any help/opinions/expertise...

CF

[ 05-27-2002: Message edited by: Chris Federico ]

Hi Chris,

first of all no! i would not mind if you sold them!

(since i was the one that gave them to you) go ahead, hope it helps you out!! and thanks for the good deal/trade!!

the spider fighter is by CCE from brazil and the other one tom boy is by Rainbowvision NOT from brazil (sorry i forgot what 2 extras i sent you when i e-mailed you)

hope you find a good home for them!!

Take care,

Rick

Chris,

Actually, we do list both of these games. You need to select "All" under the Region criteria in the search tool in order to see them. As Rick said, CCE is Brazilian and Rainbow Vision is Australian, so you won't see them if you use the default settings in the search (North America only).

CCE and Rainbow Vision are two of the more interesting non-US companies, so I think those are "neat" cartridges and worth keeping.

Tom Boy is PAL and is listed as such.

Brazil uses PAL-M, although it's not clear whether their Atari games were programmed for NTSC or PAL-M, as they are nearly identical except for the color pallette. In any event, Spider Fighter should play fine on an NTSC TV, Tom Boy might play or it might roll.

There's no # on the label. Also, on the back, emblazoned in the plastic, are the words "Manufactured in Taiwan." Finally, it runs on my (American) 4-switcher without rolling. Do you want me to send it back to you? Maybe you didn't mean to send your Taiwan version! I'll be happy to return it to you!

CF

quote:

Originally posted by Green Goblin:

Tom Boy is Pitfall!

No, Tom Boy is a derivative of Pitfall! More than just a cosmetic graphical hack, Tom Boy's underground passageway system differs significantly from that of Pitfall!

The two games differ strategically quite a bit to players who utilize the underground shortcuts.

Ben