IGNORED

Best way to transfer from Atari to PC through MIDI

petervh

Hello,

I've got a Mega STE with a relatively large hardrive (around 150mb), and i want to transfer a lot of the data over from it to my PC through MIDI. I have midi in and out on my soundcard, so does anyone know of some software on the Atari that will allow this to happen? What is the easiest way to go about it?

Thanks,

- Peter

Edited by petervh

I found a cartridge slot based Network Adaptor that allowed me to FTP from my ST to my PC.

I have a Mega 2 ST

1005194[/snapback]

While network is a great option, one great option at least in the Mac world, maybe the PC world is the MagicMac/MagicPC idea.

I know that with MagicMac you could hook up a SCSI drive out of the ST and hook directly to the Mac. MagicMac would read it like a regular drive. And then after that you could transfer the files to a Mac folder. Maybe possible with the MagicPC as well.

Hello,

I've got a Mega STE with a relatively large hardrive (around 150mb), and i want to transfer a lot of the data over from it to my PC through MIDI. I have midi in and out on my soundcard, so does anyone know of some software on the Atari that will allow this to happen? What is the easiest way to go about it?

Thanks,

- Peter

1005048[/snapback]

I'd go the null modem route, you're asking for a headache with Midi ;)

Hello,

Thanks,

- Peter

1005048[/snapback]

This article explains low level methodologies for recovering ST hard drives with a Linux PC. You could use a LiveCD like Knoppix to employ these techniques:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7373

A commenter on that article also points out that you can use an emulator like Hatari to mount an ST drive image and copy files over to a PC directory "mounted as a hard drive". There are versions of the "dd" utility for Windows if you can get it pointed at the drive.

I really wouldn't bother with trying to serial transfer 150mb. That's just going to be error prone and really hurt. Hook the drive directly up to a PC, image it, and use an emulator to directly copy the data out of the image.

I'll also emphasize that you should try for a drive image. You DON'T want to start mucking about with that drive read/write on a foreign platform. Just snarf the data THEN process.

• 1 year later...
I found a cartridge slot based Network Adaptor that allowed me to FTP from my ST to my PC.

I have a Mega 2 ST

While network is a great option, one great option at least in the Mac world, maybe the PC world is the MagicMac/MagicPC idea.

I know that with MagicMac you could hook up a SCSI drive out of the ST and hook directly to the Mac. MagicMac would read it like a regular drive. And then after that you could transfer the files to a Mac folder. Maybe possible with the MagicPC as well.

The MagicMac is definitely the method I've found that works best especially for large volumes of data. Have to watch on file name schemes when moving the files to a PC. I found Windows does not like files named CON.* and AUX.*.

Has anyone had any similar success with MagicPC? I guess having just the right kind of SCSI card for the PC would be important. This is probably why I've found MagicMac works so much better because the SCSI is better integrated within the MacOS.

Glenn

I always use PARCP with the "slightly modified printer cable". Much faster than serial linking and no hassle with opening your Mega STE and disassembling and reassembling the harddisk. Only problem might be running PARCP with Windows Vista. Windows XP is fine together with an additional utility (see PARCP site).