Rhindle The Red

Which Lynx model is best?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which Lynx model is best?

• Lynx I - big and burley
    • Lynx II - small and sexy
    • ?????

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm not too sure of your definition of "small and sexy". Calling a Lynx 2 small is like calling the H2 a compact car. But I do prefer the smaller size and the exposed cart port not to mention the lack of flaking paint. In noisy areas the louder sound of the Lynx 1 can be helpful but I almost never play w/ the volume all the way up anyways so it doesn't make much difference to me.

I have both and both have their good points and their bad points.  They're on equal ground with me.

1006467[/snapback]

Lynx I, and I have owned both. The Lynx one....

1) Strangely has a better battery life.

2) More rugged (buttons don't need cleaning constantly)

3) Better grip.

4) Better speaker.

And about the Lynx II being "sexy"... I suppose you like your women chunky and blocky. The Lynx I at least has curves.

Lynx II was the first Lynx bought. But loved the Lynx I when I was able to find one later.

In truth, I think making a smaller Lynx would be very possible with a home hack, since both Lynx's use that mini screen instead of a flat LCD screen, which are more common now.

I only had the Lynx 2 and I kinda regret selling it many years back...it truly was ahead of its time with alot of its features and it not for the almighty gameboy, mario; and poor battery consumption; lack of support by both retailers/game publishers, etc it would not have perished.

I like the Lynx II over the Lynx I - a shorter version of what I said in another thread is basically, no flaking paint, better battery life (because of the backlight on/off switch), and frankly, even though it is still a beast by today's standards, at least I don't feel like I could wax the thing and use it to go surfing... :D

I read somewhere that there were 4 test models of the Lynx before the design for the Lynx I was chosen. Does anybody know if there are any mockups or drawings of these units anymore?

There was a post in the Lynx forums awhile back from one of the people that helped develop the lynx. If I remember correctly they had proposed smaller units but marketing research showed that people prefered the larger version. I'm just about to leave so I'll have to search for the thread later.

• 1 year later...

LYNX II without question

But I do prefer the smaller size and the exposed cart port not to mention the lack of flaking paint

I had both LYNXs and the piece that kept the door to the cartridge slot closed was broke and the door would never close unless I used tape and the paint did chip.

I did trade both of them and a non working LYNX II for a mint condition ATARI 800xl from someone on this site about a year and a half to 2 years ago