IGNORED

How many *unique* 2600 games are there?

Kaboomer

I'm up to about 400 unique carts and I started wondering.... I know I've heard there are upwards of 1500 or so titles....even recently I heard someone overseas state they have about 1200 carts, but what I'd like to know is how many *unique* 2600 carts there are. There are nowhere near 1500 unique carts listed on Atari Age (or are there?), and Randy's new updated list at Hozer (he just updated yesterday, by the way) has about 1000 or so...and these are *not* all *unique* and include hacks and homebrews.

Does anyone have a "master" UNIQUE cart list?

I think this is a GREAT question, and I'd like to know the answer to it too.

Here's what you are saying (it is obvious of course):

There are like 10 label variations of

SPACE INVADERS

There are like 10 label variations of

COMBAT

That would make 20 carts...

but that would be TWO GAMES.

Utilizing information from my emulator....I am almost entirely certain that there are

AT LEAST 500 unique games.

Using Atariage.com for example, they have ONE rom for Space Invaders, even tho there are numerous label variations (text and pictures)

The tootsie roll question has been supposedly answered (in all seriousness).

I heard of some high school students who did an experiment, where girls and boys licked toosie rolls.

Look on the internet, I'm sure it is there somewhere.

There was a difference between girls and boys, boys seem to be able to lick to the center in less licks.

I'm sorry I don't have more details, but I'm not making up that I heard of this actual experiment.

The number of licks was somewhere between 100 and 200 (as far as I remember)

I remember a tootsie-roll-thread here on this board.

According to my own results with CloneSpy I would say, that there are only about 500 really original games plus a lot of modern homebrews. The rest are only pirates/hacks.

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by atarinvader:

I would have guessed at a lot more than 700 unique games. How many did Atari alone release? 150(ish)?

Yes, according to CloneSpy there are about 150 games that where done by Atari.

But a total of 700 is way to high.

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

I know your answer Thomas, so need to reply

so = no, right?

Well, I will reply whenever I want.

Give me a human generated list, let's compare it with the computer generated one and then we can discuss the differences.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

[QBGive me a human generated list, let's compare it with the computer generated one and then we can discuss the differences.[/QB]

Damn, I knew you were going to say something like that. Do you realize there's people on this globe who do not think binarily but in many shades in between 0 and 1?

However, I'll work on that list! Though I guess that the Als should be able to come up with some list too, right?!

Cheers,

Marco

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

Damn, I knew you were going to say something like that. Do you realize there's people on this globe who do not think binarily but in many shades in between 0 and 1?

I know, that's why we have to discuss if we want some answer to the question.

I'm sure there will be a lot perfect 0s and 1s and the remaining 0.somethings should be categorized where possible, so that everybody can decide for himself how he (or she?) wants to count them.

However, I'll work on that list! Though I guess that the Als should be able to come up with some list too, right?!

Fine, but be warned, that's a lot of work to be done by hand.

But maybe the CloneSpy list gives some help.