IGNORED

What do you all think of this?

Cassidy Nolen

Ok, just letting you know, this is sort of long.

I was out of town, but won two games on ebay. I got back and did not read the fine print on the auciton that said money orders or cash only. So, I sent him the payment that day via paypal. It went through, payment said it was complete, but the name did not match up on the account to the seller.

I emailed the fella and said I sent him payment, 45 bucks for Dolphin and Frostbite boxed and shipping. He emails me back and says he does not have an account on paypal. I asked him to just sign up and send me back my payment, but he refuses. I asked of the names being different, but he says his brother in law let him secure his ebay account with his credit card (always something, isnt it?). Well, I know if I do not come good on this, he will flame me on feedback. So, I send him a money order. Now I have spent 90 bucks for two 10 dollar games. I am mad enough, but it gets better.

I had not looked at the details for the cart label on Frostbite. It looks awful and to beat that, its ripped on the end. It does not work, but did after I cleaned it. The ultimate insult: Dolphin is DEAD! Trust me, I know how to clean a game, and that aint it. I am furious. And they stink like cigarette smoke.

I do not know if I have any recourse. If I hit him with bad feedback, you know it will cause me to get one for taking so long on the payment- hence defeating the reason I paid for them twice.

What do you think I should do? I am still mad about it.

Cassidy

Ugh, that really sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. First off, the guy is an ass if he's not willing to help you get your money back from PayPal. So am I to assume that his brother took the money? Someone had to accept payment, so I presume it would be him. Any reasonable person would be more than willing to help you out, especially if the money went to his brother and not some stranger. You have to wonder if this has happened in the past.

I would immediately file a complaint with PayPal, describing the situation to them. There might not be anything they can do, but it's worth trying. Did you pay with a credit card? If so, you can try calling your credit card company up and seeing if they'll reverse the charges. Some companies are better at this (such as Amex) than others.

Also, regarding the cigarette smoke, that is one of my pet peeves. While it hasn't happened too many times, I have received a few games that reeked of cigarette smoke, where the auction description mentioned nothing of it. I deplore cigarette smoke, so there's nothing like opening a package and having a wave of that smell overcome you.

Did the auction say whether or not the games were tested? Also, were there pictures of the items? Was the Frostbite label described accurately?

In the end, you may just have to chalk this up to experience. It's one thing to get a bad cart, another with a bad label, and both smelling like cigarette smoke. It's another to have paid twice for them.

..Al

Im sure you have tried to reason with this guy. Maybe tell him that you going to have to leave neg. feedback if he doesn't make it good. If all fails maybe post his email here and maybe if he gets a lot of e-mails from Atari fans complaining in a courteous way to him. He might rethink his position.

[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: tbfinley2 ]

hell hath no furry like the scorned classic video game player.

Sorry about that Cass.. I would Def. get in touch with paypal about it.. and your CC company.. (I really hope you didn't use bank transfer or debit card... it makes things alot harder to get back)..

I have lost many O auction waiting for questions to be answered from sellers... but then again.. i have been burned too. (looking at my broken video pinball stand alone).. GRRR

I have tried paypal twice. For all the convenience they offer, there is not much in the way of conflict management.

As for accepting the payment, I am not sure anyone has it. Maybe its just sitting there. Strange.

Ad did say the games worked. The pic was small, but when I looked at it, it does show the label torn.

I just emailed him about the dead one. Although everything else is maddening, the only thing I have to "really" go on is the fact the game does not work. I have tried it in several systems, and they cannot all be bad cart slots. My Jr. will play anything!

Thanks for letting me vent. I am sure someone out there can vouch for this guy. He had all good feedback.

Cassidy

Hi Cassidy,

I would contact your credit card company and dispute the payment. Tell them you didn't get the product and that you also paid by money order. They are usually really good. Normally, they will put the money into a 'hold' status until it is resolved. Anytime that I tried to use Pay Pal to resolve stuff, I never got a refund. The best thing about the credit card is that Pay Pal will stick the dirty seller 10 bucks for a charge back. It sounds like this guy deserves it.

Jim

If the paypal payment has not been accepted just reclaim it. you may also call paypal at 1-800-836-1859 or for their CC service call 1-800-337-3392. Any yes NOTHING is Worse the opening a package and being knoked over by the stench of Cigarette Smoke. Lots of luck in recovering your funds and don't worry about a retalitory neg. NEG this guy if he gives it back people can see through that kind of the=ing very easy.

If your status on paypal says PENDING, then they have not received the money yet and if they never do, you eventually will get it back when it reaches UNCLAIMED. I forgot how long this happened to me with Sony for Everquest. For some reason they charged $1.00 in addition to my playing fee, and the $1.00 went unclaimed. Paypal has a buyer complaint form. You have to do some research on reaching this though.

Contact Ebay about the product not working. You fill out a bidder complaint form. Goto the help section and scroll through the help questions, but you'll eventually get to the screen where you can CONTACT SUPPORT. Ebay supposedly covers you when a transaction fails.

Scan your money order receipt and also have your paypal receipt, or transaction number handy. When contacting each company, email both the paypal receipt/transaction number, and the scanned money order receipt and describe how you were forced to pay twice.

Hopefully all will go well. As for a list of bad sellers. Unless they have a track record, this could be judgmental. I have 1 negative fb in my career. That person may think I'm a bad seller, though my track record has been flawless every other transaction. I make good on every deal I have.

Phil

quote:

Originally posted by tbfinley2:

Maybe we should also start a list of Ebay sellers that atari fans has had trouble with in the past.

[ 05-22-2002: Message edited by: tbfinley2 ]

I actually had this very same idea. I got ripped off so bad before Christmas (about 50% of my winners never paid), I havn't sold anything since.

quote:

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter:

I actually had this very same idea. I got ripped off so bad before Christmas (about 50% of my winners never paid), I havn't sold anything since.

When you say you were ripped off, I presume you mean that people never paid and you never sent the merchandise? Or did you actually send out merchandise before receiving payment? A 50% non-payment rate seems unreasonably high, although I'm not disputing your number. I wouldn't waste my time selling items on eBay if only half the bidders paid..

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

When you say you were ripped off, I presume you mean that people never paid and you never sent the merchandise? Or did you actually send out merchandise before receiving payment? A 50% non-payment rate seems unreasonably high, although I'm not disputing your number. I wouldn't waste my time selling items on eBay if only half the bidders paid..

..Al

No, I never have sent anything without being paid first. I've always accepted money orders and PayPal. I am also VERY lenient with people too. I drop friendly reminders if I don't see payment for a while, etc. And it's not like I have Neg feedback or anything. I'm up to 32 I think. Look me up "fmctm1sw"

You CAN cancel PayPal payments; I had to do that recently because of an incorrect address. Go to the transaction details link in the email confirmation and there's a link on that page to do it. It's not difficult, though they won't send a confirmation of the cancellation for some reason...

Also, since you sent PayPal but they don't say in the ad (I assume) that they accept it, you can't really leave neg feedback for that. You're also going to have to lump the condition, because you didn't ask, and there was a pic, no matter how small.

But, if it said the games work, and one doesn't, demand that he refund your money for that game, and if he doesn't, leave negative feedback anyway.

Don't mean to "rub salt in open wound", but why are you so afraid of one negative feedback that you would waste $45?

I got a negative feedback I didn't deserve and I simply stated the facts in my response without any emotion attached to it. Other ebayers will see your overall track record. They will look at the one or two incidents, see that you were the one who stayed level-headed about it, and that you were in the right. Don't be afraid of retaliatory negative feedback.

Also you could always wait until the very last day you could leave feedback for the transaction. By the time he sees his negative it will be too late to retaliate. I know this isn't the best solution because other people won't see it for that long period of time but it is an option.

I've left a few negatives before,for less money than that!I haven't even gotten retaliatory feedback,luckily,because I was right.

You should SLAM this guy in the feedback forum.

I would run out of space in the comment I left.

All other terrible problems aside,one of the games doesn't work,he said it does.That alone is enough.Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by Freedom Fighter:

50% is really high. Maybe 1 out of 35 auctions need to be relisted for me. The funny thing is, usually new people (shades) pay up quick.. The more feedback people have the slower they pay.

Chris

UPDATE!!!!!

The guy turned out cool! He sent me the money back via Paypal, and all is well. I cannot believe he did this, but I am glad that he did. Way cool, but what a pain.

Now, I have this caveat to all of you: READ THE FINE PRINT! Am I someone who lives life muddling through the details? Heck no! I have too much fun figuring it out later. This time it bit me. Read those stupid 10 point type words in the ad about payment information. Its worth your while.

Thanks for all the input.

Cassidy