IGNORED

Avalon Hill Death Trap on eBay

welshleo

Just a pointer for our NTSC area friends. I'm not sure if there's any interest but there's a copy of Avalon Hill's Death Trap up on the UK eBay.

It's an NTSC version (don't know if a PAL version exists). The guy is starting the bidding at the rough equivalent of $45 - $50!

It's rated 8 on the AtariAge rarity list. If it is that sought after then there's also a buy-it-now on this auction ... but it'll set you back about $80 - $90!!!!

Is this game really worth that much for what is a loose cart?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=1356261210

David

A game that's no fun to play isn't worth the price of the plastic it's made out of. I once traded my Chase the Chuckwagon for a Pressure Cooker cart because I don't like Chuckwagon. My friend looked at me like I was nuts. I knew what it was worth, but I didn't want to bother with all the Internet bargaining and whatnot. I like Pressure Cooker a LOT. It was worth it, regarding the pleasure I get from it when I play it.

I'm in this for fun, y'know? Some people reduce it to the scientific level of stamp collecting or something, and I never understood that. I mean, $80-$90 for a cartridge? I've loved Atari games for years, friends, but is any one video game worth that much when you can buy ten to twenty really FUN games online for the same price? I guess it depends on the player vs. collector debate, yet again. But there's my overstated two cents, as usual.

By the way, I played Quadrun at the World of Atari show a few years ago, and liked it -- but not enough to pay hundreds for it! So I went home and designed myself a clone of the game on my Commodore 64!

CF

I suppose it's each to their own. Personally I sadly don't have much time (or space) for the 2600 anymore but that doesn't stop me from collecting carts for it, just for the sake of it.

At the moment, for example, I've got bids in for two boxed M-Network games. Why? Simply because I'd never seen them before. They're cheap enough so I'm not going to break the bank on them.

A 'problem' has been caused by eBay, but then again if people are prepared to pay silly prices then people will *rightfully* ask silly prices.

Sadly, eBay has seemingly made it harder to find cheap Atari stuff at the local car boot sale or second-hand shop. Until two years ago they came up pretty regularly but now the supply has dried up. As more people get to know how much in demand the vintage stuff is, it's making things very difficult.

So at least eBay has served a purpose in that it's easier to find what you want ... the flip side is that you're gonna pay more for it.

David