IGNORED

800XL Keyboard Problem

bf2k+

Hi;

I picked up another 800XL today and it is SOCKETED!!! Looks pretty clean too. I have 1 slight problem with it. Starting with key '7' and moving to the right, all keys to the right of 7 do not work. 1 thru 6 are fine as are ALL other keys on the keyboard. Weird huh?

I am going to try swapping the keyboard with another one now, but I was wondering if anyone else had ever seen this behavior?

Thanks

:?

Edited by bf2k+

Starting with key '7' and moving to the right, all keys to the right of 7 do not work.  1 thru 6 are fine as are ALL other keys on the keyboard.  Weird huh?

1006912[/snapback]

Looks like you lost a trace. Did you lose the buttons 7 to Backspace? I attached a pic of the keyboard matrix.

Well...

Swapping the keyboard with another one did not solve it - neither did cleaning the ribbon and socket with contact cleaner.  Back to the drawing board...

1006953[/snapback]

I missed this post. Probably something on the MB.

Edited by Almost Rice

:P !!!

I fixed it!!! It was a bad POKEY chip. Luckily I had another broken 800XL here for parts.

The really good things are... not only is it socketed (so I can plug in a 32-1 OS that's been sitting here looking for a home for a few months now), but that parts 800xl machine I had laying around has the Real Good keyboard which was on some of the earlier machines. I used to have one back in 1984 that had that keyboard but I sold it and have never seen another one until now. It works fine on the newly repaired machine!!

Thanks for all the input!

:D