IGNORED

New TV

Rob11

Will a 2600 work on a brand new Sony Trinitron?

I just bought a "new" atari that apparently works just fine but when I hook it up to my TV I get nothing. No indication that it is even hooked up. Does a new TV have some kind of auto switch like a nintendo RF box that the 2600 is not strong enough to flip. Or do I have another problem.

Any help appreciated.

Rob

2600 SHOULD work with any TV that has coaxial input. I don't think you can rely on plugging the 2600's RCA plug directly into any input in the TV. It's unlikely that that is supported.

But if you have an RF switchbox that has coaxial output, that should work just fine. If your switchbox only has the 2 screws (300 ohm) output, you'll need to get a 300 ohm-to-75 ohm adapter. I'm sure Radio Shack has these.

Did you have a chance to test the 2600 on another TV to verify that it definitely does work?

Other things to check...

1. Make sure the AC adapter is plugged in (and is the correct voltage and polarity, if it's not the original one).

2. Make sure the TV channel switch on the back of the Atari and the TV itself are both set to the same channel (2 or 3).

Good luck!

I can't see any reason why your shiny new Trinitron shouldn't be able to accept the RF signal from your Atari. I assume that both the Atari game and the TV have the same TV system (PAL, NTSC, SECAM..)?

One trick you can try is to hook up your Atari to your VHS using the RF in. You will have to remove the tv cable, but who wants to watch tv when you can mess with your Atari instead This way you can also get the sound separated from the video signal, assuming you have audio out from your VHS. Just connect it to your amplifier and pump up the volume....

As others have already said, this should work fine. Any televisions with an RF input (which is nearly all of them) will work with an Atari 2600, or any other game system with RF output. I highly suggest you pick up a Coaxial (F-type) to Female RCA Adapter (Radio Shack part #278-276), as you will generally get a better picture than going through a switchbox. And you need to make sure your television is on the right input (RF) and correct channel. I am presently using my old game systems on two Sony Trinitron sets without problems.

..Al