IGNORED

Pro-Play Home Arcade FOUND!

I found this item at a thrft recently. I just picked it up and hauled it home in my trailer today.

It's a Pro-Play Home Arcade unit.

"Upright Cabinet For The NES! Rare and hard to find these days, it makes your NES into a full upright arcade machine !"

Here's a page about it: http://robotron.freeservers.com/proplay.html

1980s arcade style cabinet made for the NES. It features a space for a 20" monitor and two arcade sticks with 2 buttons each and Start and Select. It has a space for a front loading NES as well as 2 controller cables. Sold as a kit from California for $249 in the late 1980s. Solidly built with particle board. Mine needs cosmetic attention. Here's an ad for one:

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

post-1638-1138419906_thumb.jpg

So you pays your $250, hauls the thing home and builds it yerself, all for the privilege of playing your home video games while standing up! I think I can play standing up without the kit, and save the money and hassle... ;-)

Maybe if they came out with a cockpit version for $500 I'd buy it!

1008431[/snapback]

Yeah .. but it's an arcade setup look-a-like that looks cool! And I can play ROBOTRON and BATTLEZONE much more reliably now!

One guy on the web mentioned that he got his at a clearance price of $59 from Toys'R'Us in 1989. That would have been much more my price range if I got it new.

Just out of curiousity if you don't mind someone asking, how much did you pay for it?

When I was a kid I used to design plans on making an "arcade cabinet" out of boxes. They advertised similar pieces for the Atari 2600 (Altho really it was more like an arcade cabinet looking shelf from what i remmeber ) and I wanted one for some reason.

The Toys 'R' Us near my house carried these back in the day. My friends and I thought it was cool, but we decided that if we had $250 to blow on video games, we'd blow it on the games and systems, not an empty cabinet. One of those "if only we were rich" kind of things.

Neat find. If I found one now for $50 or less, I'd probably pick it up, and I'd happily put it next to my "real" arcade games.

$250 is the original price listed in that sales form. I seriously doubt he paid that much for it from a thrift. I'm going to make a guess - $20 to $30.

1008540[/snapback]

Total was $30 plus tax. Not bad for a cool piece of junk! I'll have something to show to Dennis Debro and others when they come over!

I think i have to agree with A.J on this one.  though vey cool as a collectors item, i don't think i'd shell out that kind of money for something that i would be more comfortable playing sitting on a couch on a much larger screen.

1008476[/snapback]

Now if in the late 1980s I had a big 19" TV .. and I had gotten this for $59, it would have been my main TV and games unit!

Edited by Rob Mitchell