IGNORED

Do you keep your games in a safe?

Trench

what i do with all the stuff i buy is keep it in as close to orignal condition as possible

recantly i got a BRAND NEW saturn analog pad and guess what i opended the box and used it for sonic r (analog is a must have for that :P ) when i was done i put EVERYTHING back along with wrapping the cord up with its original twist tie

now THATS presarvation

btw you got any betas that you dont want the world to know about because fans of seires x would flood your email box with requests people to dump it as a rom?

At one point I thought about getting a safe for my prototypes (200+ prototypes values at between $50 and $400 a piece kind of adds up), but then I thought what are the odds that someone breaking into my home is going to:

1. Steal my classic video games?

2. Know that they're prototypes and valuable?

3. Be able to pawn them off to someone?

So I never bothered. I suppose if I put them in a fire proof safe they'd be protected against fire, but I'd need a BIG safe for that and it would be costly (plus prototypes naturally get a +3 bonus to their saving throw vs. fire). I know where they are, and in a fire they're one of the first things I'd grab anyway (after my pet that is).

Tempest

At one point I thought about getting a safe for my prototypes (200+ prototypes values at between $50 and $400 a piece kind of adds up), but then I thought what are the odds that someone breaking into my home is going to:

1. Steal my classic video games?

2. Know that they're prototypes and valuable?

3. Be able to pawn them off to someone?

So I never bothered.  I suppose if I put them in a fire proof safe they'd be protected against fire, but I'd need a BIG safe for that and it would be costly (plus prototypes naturally get a +3 bonus to their saving throw vs. fire).  I know where they are, and in a fire they're one of the first things I'd grab anyway (after my pet that is).

Tempest

1009413[/snapback]

Even if they were able to steal and pawn it, something that rare would be easier to track than the Mona Lisa! :P

:-o 

:rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

:ponder:

:_(

1009178[/snapback]

I take it I am stupid for doing such a thing instead of smart like I thought.

*Rips open original factory sealed Zelda for NES*

1009183[/snapback]

Not like Zelda is rare or anything, if your keeping Zelda in a safe then i don't know what to tell you but you definetely need to either read up on collecting and read up on what games are rare, or just not even try.

Not like Zelda is rare or anything,  if your keeping Zelda in a safe then i don't know what to tell you but you definetely need to either read up on collecting and read up on what games are rare, or just not even try.

I'm no expert on collecting, but I heard that if you keep stuff for a long time, it becomes rare because after many years people don't have that stuff anymore. I read up on collecting and that's what the stuff I read told me. Maybe a safe would be a safe place to keep rare or potentially rare stuff. And...

I suppose if I put them in a fire proof safe they'd be protected against fire, but I'd need a BIG safe for that and it would be costly (plus prototypes naturally get a +3 bonus to their saving throw vs. fire).

That's the funniest thing I've ever read.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-LEGEND-OF-ZELDA-Ni...1QQcmdZViewItem

This was real, until someone did the right thing. This guy had bought a machine to reseal games and also bought a complete version of Zelda... sealed it... and claimed it was factory sealed.

It got pretty high before someone did the right thing.

Mine of course is real, as it has been sitting in a safe for like 15 years. I win!

Do what you want with 'em. If it's a proto, yeah you'd probably wanna dump its ROM for several reasons. Mainly to share, but also if anything happened to your proto, you, too, would lose the ability to play that version of the game.

If you wanna hang on to them and then sell them later for more money, do it. If you wanna hang on to sealed media, then go for it. I've got some sealed media (Commie Mutants and an REM CD are factory sealed).

Just remember, if you don't play every single one of your games, we must flog you. We'll get around to that eventually. :)

I can't speak for the community, but I personally collect games to play them. To me, the most valuable game is one that's CIB, not sealed. I won't touch a sealed box because I know there are people out there who do collect those.

I picked up four 7800 games that were sealed last year. I broke factory seals on Asteroids and Ballblazer, then proceeded to enjoy them until it was silly. My One on One game has been resealed by someone, and someone had broken the seal on Xevious in the store (the vandals!).

I'll buy a very, very few sealed games, and they will stay sealed when I do.

I have many sealed games, mainly because I never got a chance to play them. I still have 5 or 6 games form christmas to open. As far as collecting goes, why not just sell that sealed copy of zelda? Really how much of an impact is 5 years going to make? Unless your just holding on to it because you like having games you can't play, in the case buy a safe. Since you aren't going to be playing it anyway what does it matterif it's in a safe? I'm not going to sit here and tell you games are to be played not kept away hiden in a box. Since they are your games you should be able to do what you want with them. People will just look at you funny since the truth is the game your hoarding was always meant by creators to be played not hoarded.

I have many sealed games, mainly because I never got a chance to play them.  I still have 5 or 6 games form christmas to open.  As far as collecting goes, why not just sell that sealed copy of zelda?  Really how much of an impact is 5 years going to make?  Unless your just holding on to it because you like having games you can't play, in the case buy a safe.  Since you aren't going to be playing it anyway what does it matterif it's in a safe?  I'm not going to sit here and tell you games are to be played not kept away hiden in a box.  Since they are your games you should be able to do what you want with them.  People will just look at you funny since the truth is the game your hoarding was always meant by creators to be played not hoarded.

1009679[/snapback]

I own 2 copies, so why would I even open the second one? I play the first one. 5 years does sometimes make a difference. It's not like it costs me money to keep it in there. As fewer and fewer mint copies are out there, the more value it gains.

I dug a big hole in my back yard and buried all my carts in it. I then made a map and placed it in a safe deposit box. Then I took the safe deposit key and deposited that in an airport locker. I took the airport locker key and hid it in a box of cereal. Then my wife threw out the cereal and now I'm screwed. :|

I have a garage with AC and a locked door.

Between games, systems, cabling ... that's just about enough room. (70+ machines ranging from the 2600 and Apple ][plus to the AMD x86_64...)

Except the ones I'm playing recently, which are usually stacked in the living room.

Regarding sealed games, specifically Zelda... I bought a Zelda/SNES (I think that one is Link to the Past, right?) in the box, and it didn't work ... turned out the battery leaks acid if it's not powered up periodically.

Edited by brpocock

do you happen too have pics of that garage full of games?

i knew that games that were in the box were actuallly in poorer condition then played ones i just needed proof

so now the only way to tell if a game works is to open it because of this problem?

i feel sorry for the people that have a ton of sealed snes games now

do you happen too have pics of that garage full of games?

Right now they're boxed up. I'm in progress of moving. Once it's all set up again perhaps?

i knew that games that were in the box were actuallly in poorer condition then played ones i just needed proof

so now the only way to tell if a game works is to open it because of this problem?

i feel sorry for the people that have a ton of sealed snes games now

1009786[/snapback]

It's probably a fluke thing with the type of battery that game used. The ROM-only ones are prolly in better shape?

I dug a big hole in my back yard and buried all my carts in it.  I then made a map and placed it in a safe deposit box.  Then I took the safe deposit key and deposited that in an airport locker.  I took the airport locker key and hid it in a box of cereal.  Then my wife threw out the cereal and now I'm screwed.  :|

1009775[/snapback]

That happened to me once, too.

I have many sealed games, mainly because I never got a chance to play them.  I still have 5 or 6 games form christmas to open.  As far as collecting goes, why not just sell that sealed copy of zelda?  Really how much of an impact is 5 years going to make?  Unless your just holding on to it because you like having games you can't play, in the case buy a safe.  Since you aren't going to be playing it anyway what does it matterif it's in a safe?  I'm not going to sit here and tell you games are to be played not kept away hiden in a box.  Since they are your games you should be able to do what you want with them.  People will just look at you funny since the truth is the game your hoarding was always meant by creators to be played not hoarded.

1009679[/snapback]

I own 2 copies, so why would I even open the second one? I play the first one. 5 years does sometimes make a difference. It's not like it costs me money to keep it in there. As fewer and fewer mint copies are out there, the more value it gains.

1009772[/snapback]

You seem to have missed my point, are you planning on selling it or just hoarding it? That's the deciding factor.