IGNORED

Java 4K Game Programming Contest

jbanes

Many of you have heard me mention it in passing before, and now it is that time of year again! The 2006 Java 4K Game Programming Contest is currently in full swing. The goal of the contest is to cram as much of a game as possible into an executable download of 4K or less. The only caveat is that the game must be written in Java. Here are a few links:

Contest Home Page

Contest Rules

Game Design Tips

Here's my favorite game:

Xero - The Last Hope for Mankind

I'll let you all figure out why it's my favorite. ;)

The 2005 Game List is also currently available. Note that there is more than one page, so don't stop at the first 25 games! :)

If you don't have Java 1.4 or higher, you can get it as an automatic download from Java.com. The files are all provided as either a JAR file that can be downloaded and run via double-clicking (java -jar <filename> on systems where you can't double-click), or in a Java Webstart file that launches automatically.

So have fun playing cool games, and feel free to crate an entry if you're up to it! :)

P.S. There are no actual prizes in this contest. There used to be a prize of "Duke Dollars" (a lame attempt by Sun Microsystems to improve the answer rates for questions posted), but those have long since fallen by the wayside. The only real prize now is fame among peers, and the fun we have competing.

Edited by jbanes