IGNORED

Tosec's atari 8bit .dat files

carmel_andrews

I recently downloaded most/all of tosec's .dat files for use with romcentre and various other rom manager/renamers

Although it does have Atari 8bit .dat files i notice that it doesn't have one that supports the .exe or .com format, only supports the atr/xex format

Does anyone have a tosec atari 8bit .dat file that supports the .exe or .com

files or a utily to convert .exe or com files to .xex or .atr format

Edited by carmel_andrews

Serious Atari collectors should never use TOSEC, it's abominable.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

1009462[/snapback]

why? I don't know too much about the naming-quality but the tosec naming standard is excellent. It describes great way to name files in a way everbody should use. By using this convention it gets easy to organize thousands of files. When I renamed all my files I started to import these information in a database. No I am aware of all my hundred and thousands of atari xl/xe files/images/roms and docs. Then I have file named like this:

8bit\games\identified\_pool\Wall, The (1988)(Hiassoft).atr
8bit\games\identified\Atari\Dig Dug (1983)(Atari)[OSb].atr
8bit\games\identified\Datasoft\Alternate Reality - The City (1985)(Datasoft)[cr Glenn](Disk 1 of 2 Side A).atz

I wish you would use the same standard on your page then I could easily integrate missing titles I found on your page in both directions. But so I have to rename files first and run then my import-tool.

cheers,

\thomas

The TOSEC system is a good idea that has grown into an uncontrollable monster for different reasons. Among other things:

- the renaming quality is pathetic

- it dilutes any kind of precious release / historical information into a horrible mess

- it favors the team's unique point of view...

I wish you would use the same standard on your page then I could easily integrate missing titles I found on your page in both directions. But so I have to rename files first and run then my import-tool.

In an ideal world, we would have our own renaming system with frontend, maybe something similar to GB64. We don't sort the information the way TOSEC does and we'd rather go our way: a closed system which uses verified information, historical data and makes the difference between original games and cracks is, in our opinion, far more constructive than TOSEC...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Atarimania... I don't think that simply renaming the exe's to xex's will be sufficent as i guess that the exe file wiull have a different 'checksum' to a file of the same name in xex format

And the integral part of these rom managers like romcentre/cmpro etc is that their .dat files rely on a set 'checksum' for each file and in anycase romcentre/cmpro only repairs/renames some of the files, not all, obviously there must be different versions of the same 'hacked' atr file again with different checxksums

As you are the maintainer/principle behind your w/s why not start an AIO (All In One) Atari project similar to tosec/goodtools etc, across all Atari platforms i.e game systems, computers etc, and have a 'flexible' checksum and renaming system that checks for different naming conventions and checksums for the different versions of the same Atr, Xfd, Dcm, Exe, Xex type file, at least it will be a standard for all Atari platfoirms as you will be able to repair/rename or rebuild entire collections

How's about it atarimania

Atarimania... I don't think that simply renaming the exe's to xex's will be sufficent as i guess that the exe file wiull have a different 'checksum' to a file of the same name in xex format

1009600[/snapback]

Changing the name will not change the checksum.

Have you tried Tosecs TIM tool? It has the latest dats available via its online update capability and will handle ATR, xex, tapes, etc.

It should rename your exe to xex for you as part of the rebuild process.