IGNORED

What's the most you've spent on Atari in one month?

KAZ

Jahfish, what items did you spend that $1400 on? If you can remember that is...

Was it on a rare cart on Ebay, or perhaps a video game cabinet?

As I had said before in other threads, I still hold to the theory that it doesn't really make a difference how much you spend on games (as long as it doesn't interfere with living, like rent or food, etc.) because the items, at least Atari based, retain their value, and often go up in value.

You didn't LOSE the money so to speak, you could sell it back for the same or more.

You can't say the same thing about a purchase like a car, which goes down in value.

So instead of having money in the bank, it is attached to tangible items, like systems and games.

Unless of course a fire ripped through your place, but the same would happen to paper money too. Makes having insurance a necessity if you are into classic gaming I'd say.

If I sold all the stuff that I have gotten to this point since March, I think there's a good chance I could make back all the money.

But would I want to? Hell no! Selling duplicate carts isn't a biggie.

The only reason you'd want to "cry" about spending money on Atari stuff is if you could prove without a doubt that you could NOT get back that money if you SOLD the stuff back to Ebay or whereever.

But let's say I bought a super special tasty chocolate bar made from the best chocolate in the world for $20, and it was so tasty I had a religious experience, should I cry that I spent $19 more than a regular chocolate bar?

The answer is how long do you save money before enjoying it?

Aren't you the one who posted a thread (which has mysteriously disappeared) showing off pictures of your "collection"? Were you aware that your directory's easily accessible, just by taking off the "Atari2600.html" extension? You must've expected some teasing after that!

So yeah, I'm only ribbing you a little; but regardless, I've edited the post so your feelings aren't hurt. That's never my intention.

CF

I hadn't realized that, or that it could be done. No wonder my topic was later deleted.

I guess I just didn't think enough people would even visit my Atari 2600 site, or do what you suggest they did.

Looking at my site statistics, this is what did happen.

I guess I should be embarrased or something, but my link was correctly put in.

I should've been alot more cautious, and not so careless about it.

It was my own fault for being stupid, it was late at night (early morning) when I got those 2600 pictures done. I just transferred them to my Geocities, and thought all was well

Sorry about the "rude awakening" Atarinvader.

The problem has been "fixed", so you won't be seeing any of that anymore.

I AM curious myself what people wrote in the forum about me tho. They deleted the whole topic before I read anything (there was like 9 responses, some negative I can be sure).

I believe you, and that is incredible.

Yeah perhaps if I WERE holding a swordquest waterworld or a Quadrun, it would distract you from the actual picture.

Or maybe a Mystique Cartridge would've been more in keeping with "the theme".

It was pretty funny when I first logged on to the forum earlier today. I got alot of email notifications that people responded to my post, and I clicked on the link to it, and it said something like "the post has been removed". At first I thought it was moved to a different forum, like "off topic, or maybe marketplace". Then I read what you wrote Chris, and put 2 and 2 together

I've spent upto $6000 US a month on video games (seriously). Of course, I didn't keep most of the stuff for myself. What I like to do is buy large collections and lots, keep the items I need for myself, and sell off the rest. If you make good deals and are willing to spend the time to break up large packages, you can take a large lot.. keep the rarest 10% of the stuff for yourself, and sell of the remaining 90% for what you paid for the whole lot. It's like getting games for free!

KA

That's some major advanced tactics.

I once heard the phrase "You need money to make money".

It sounds more that true in this case.

You use your intelligence and determination to actually make yourself money.

But as another has pointed out before...

Consider if you spend 4 hours a day looking for a GREAT bargin Buy It Now price for 2600...Eventually you're going to find someone who doesn't know much about classic gaming, and you're going to get an awesome deal, saving you mega bucks...

However, you could hypothetically spend 4 hours working and make that much or maybe more.

The time, therefore, it takes you to package, sell, and buy this stuff might match the rewards you are getting out of it. You are, in a sense, WORKING, but you are working at collecting, and you are good at it.

That's true.. I pointed that out to a guy on another form who said that he gets $1-2 NES games at flea markets and garage sales. I pointed out by the time your factor transportation costs and the value of your time in, they cease being $1-2 games.

You are right, tho.. I have to spend some time on it, so it's not exactly "free". That's why I find buying huge lots tends to make mroe sense.. for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to take 5 times longer to sort out and sell a $3000 lot than it does to sort out a $600 lot. The scale of it is rather odd. I don't spend as much time as you would think, tho.. I pay a couple people to do most of my packaging/shipping for me, as well as a lot of the testing, and I include those costs in my expenses.. and still come out ahead. I mainly just answer the e-mails, and write up the descriptions for eBay, tho I'd say I sell more outside of eBay than I do on it.

KA

I bookmarked your selling page.

Wow, you've got alot of new shrinkwrapped games, that is awesome.

And all those loose games.

Eventually, I'll probably be buying some stuff off of you, if you still have some of it for sale later.

Eventually, one of my "obsessive" goals is to get a good amount (maybe at least 10) games in which I have

1. The loose cartridge and manual

2. A shrinkwrapped game

So for Pitfall! for example, it would be neat to have a NIB shrinkwrapped version, and a loose cart with insructions.

Maybe another alternative would be to get two shrinkwrapped games, and open 1. Harder to access games that are in their boxes tho for playablity, so having just loose games is probably the best. The other would be for display, or for "time capsule" type fun (saving it for like decades, and opening them moments before you breathe your final breath) hehe

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]