IGNORED

Worst game music you heard

8th lutz

I can't think of any specific titles off the top of my head, although I did want to mention CD-ROM based games that try to have a symphonic soundtrack. Iinstead of an orchestra, they use cheesy sounding synthesizers to make it sound like a full orchestra, instead of some geek in a soundbooth with a Casio keyboard. Man, I can't stand the sound of that kind of 'music'.

Edited by SteveW

One of the games on my "best music" list is also at the very top of my "worst music" list: Ridge Racer. Almost all of the music is excellent, and "Rare Hero" was an instant techno classic. On the other hand, "Rotterdam Nation" still makes me want to shred my eardrums every time I hear it.

And Zylon's right, the music in Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Junior on the 7800 is disposable. Those games need more POKEY!

Anything on the Arcadia 2001.

I have always been convinced that whoever did the sound programming for those games was tone-deaf.

1010315[/snapback]

There was music on the Arcadia? I always thought that was my sound chip melting... :)

Seriously though, there are some 'tunes' on the arcadia that are actually painful to listen to (I mean physically painful). The elevator scene in Turtles comes to mind (especially when it cracks that top note).

Tempest

rygar for nes. i thought the music was dreadful in killed my ears to play the game. the music didnt even fit the game.

1010590[/snapback]

Really? Because I've always loved the music from Rygar. It's one of my favorite in-game music pieces from the NES era.

rygar for nes. i thought the music was dreadful in killed my ears to play the game. the music didnt even fit the game.

1010590[/snapback]

Really? Because I've always loved the music from Rygar. It's one of my favorite in-game music pieces from the NES era.

1011050[/snapback]

Well not every music track in Rygar is gold, but I guess most people remember the cool tracks.

Edited by Dones

I'll join those who have cited 7800 Donkey Kong. Before listening to that "music" and those sound effects, I never thought I would hear something that would make me want to gouge my own eardrums out with pencils, but I came pretty close. :skull:

Then I fired up 7800 BallBlazer and recovered instantly. :D

2600 Pac-Man

1010707[/snapback]

Ditto. And for some reason it became the default 'video game' sound in movies and television for a good 10-15 years.

1011195[/snapback]

Pac-man yes, but I've also heard the 2600 version of Donkey Kong in many tv shows and movies.

Also, to quote someone that said that game music didn't get good until the 32 bit era. the 16-bit era had some great tunes, Sonic 1 had great tunes, but especially the RPGs on the SNES, FFVI or III in the US, had some of the best music i've heard in a game.

Well not every music track in Rygar is gold, but I guess most people remember the cool tracks.

1011054[/snapback]

Dones, you must change your title (that little bit of text under your avatar) to "The place where boners go to die" immediately. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart commands it!

JR

1010590[/snapback]

1011050[/snapback]

You should listen to the music for the Japanese version, the different tracks are better in my opinion.