IGNORED

Which games best demonstrate the 2600's capabilities?

Room 34

I work with a guy who's 22, and the first video game system he ever knew was the NES. I have been trying to convey to him that he should not dismiss the Atari 2600 as lightly as he does. I decided to bring in a few games that best demonstrate what it can do. (Yes, we have an Atari 2600 in our office. No, my job is not as cool as you might think.)

Here are the 5 games I brought in, and why I chose them. (Keep in mind... I only own about 150 carts for the 2600 so my selection was fairly limited.)

SOLARIS

Great graphics, varied gameplay scenarios, large-scale plot. (The last reason was inspired by my coworker's mockery of the fact that most games of Adventure can be completed in less than 10 minutes.)

PITFALL II: LOST CAVERNS

Most of the same reasons as Solaris, plus the soundtrack!

MIDNIGHT MAGIC

Some of the best graphics I've seen in a 2600 game, more like things that were coming out for the NES by this time.

STARGATE

JOUST

Both of these are just great arcade adaptations that I think really do a good job with the 2600's relatively limited capabilities (although I don't like the way the eggs move in Joust but I think I understand why it had to be done).

So what are your top 5... and why?

The 2600 was not capable of terrific graphics in the amount of time usually given to a programmer to develop a new game. Therefore, those programmers had to focus on addictive qualities and game play mechanics.

Wouldn't you just once like to force the 1,523,947 people involved in developing one PS-2 game to try and come up with a solid, addictive title without today's graphics capabilities and digitized sound? They wouldn't be able to do it! That's why we call people like Warren Robinett, Rob Fulop, David Crane, etc. geniuses: They were pioneers in their field, and revolutionized the industry while having such sparse material at their disposal, compared to today's rehashes.

CF

quote:

Originally posted by Chris Federico:

Wouldn't you just once like to force the 1,523,947 people involved in developing one PS-2 game...

Watching large corporations I've worked for taking the same "throw more people (excuse me — 'resources') at it" approach when building web sites (an approach which I can tell you is not effective), I have a tremendous appreciation for what solo programmers were able to do with the 2600. But I don't think it's just that the 2600 programmers were super-geniuses (though many of them were)... it's the simple fact of letting an individual explore his/her creativity unencumbered by a mountain of reeking corporate/marketing B.S. that allowed these developers to produce games that people still love to play 20+ years later.

Do you honestly think that in 2022 anyone is going to give a whit about any game ever made for the Xbox? But I bet people will still get excited when they see Pitfall!

(I had a Pitfall! screenshot as the wallpaper on my PC at work for a while, and you should have seen the excited reaction it got from almost everyone who saw it...)

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Joel D. Park:

You could thow H.E.R.O out there too.

H.E.R.O.'s one of my favorites! Unfortunately I don't own my own copy!

I suppose I could show it to him in Stella, but it's more impressive on a 25-inch TV than in a 2-inch window on my laptop screen.

I agree with your list. In addition, Jr. Pac-Man is an oft-overlooked show-off game, as is Mountain King (for sheer depth, even if the graphics aren't as flashy as, say, Mario). But I agree with Solaris being your number-one choice, regarding showing off what could be done with that console with enough time and patience.

CF

I find that it's hard to convince "modern" gamers of the merits of 2600 games. Solaris and Pitfall II may have incredible graphics for the 2600, especially for those of us who actually understand some of the internal workings... however, that will never impress someone who just put down an X-Box controller.

When it comes down to it, the real magic of the Atari is in the gameplay. That's not to say that Pitfall II and Solaris don't have great gameplay, because they definitely do... but if you're trying to convince someone to appreciate the Atari, the only way it's going to happen is if you get him hooked on a game. Even if a game has crappy graphics, once you're hooked on it, it's love at first play.

That being said, I'd probably show him Enduro, Dark Chambers, Secret Quest, Mountain King, and at LEAST a few of the better 2-player games, such as Maze Craze and Entombed. When you're playing against someone else, suddenly Atari gameplay looses a lot of it's limits.. Normally, I would have encouraged Adventure as well, but seeing as he's already mocked it...

--Zero

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips!

A few comments:

Jr. Pac-Man another one he's already mocked.

Dark Chambers I only have the 7800 version.

Secret Quest just won a copy on eBay... I'll bring it in when I get it!

I think you're right on the gameplay idea. Personally, I find fast-paced paddle games very addictive, especially Kaboom and Circus Atari. Unfortunately the paddles on the Atari 2600 at our office are thrashed one has major jitters, and the other one is literally thrashed... the majority of the plastic on the "spinny part" is broken off!

I suppose I should bring in some of my own gear... but I am just overly-protective!

Maybe I need to get him sucked into one of the two-player frenzy games like Maze Craze. The only person I know who doesn't like Maze Craze is my wife... 'cause I always kick her ass! (Just in the game of course... in real life, she always kicks my ass ... but I usually have it coming.)

A good game of Kaboom on the 2600 would make anyone jump ship, at least for a little while. There is really no way to reproduce that kind of action on the NES using standard NES controllers.

California Games is an incredibly impressive game and just shows how much content could go into an Atari 2600 cart.

I vote for:

SOLARIS and RADAR LOCK

colorful and well detailed,

fast-action gameplay

ROAD RUNNER

the same as Solaris and RL

BMX Air-Master

only the graphic and music not the gameplay!

H.E.R.O.

good graphic and unusual gameplay

GHOSTBUSTERS

see Hero

I am right?

quote:

Originally posted by osbo:

about Ms Pacman? It's very well done, to me it's one of the most impressive games on the 2600

Just my two cents

Osbo

This guy's a tough customer. He's already seen and mocked both Ms. Pac-Man and Jr. Pac-Man!

Maybe there's just no way to get through to him...

He won't listen to any music that was made before 1992, either!

OK, so my Atari skeptic coworker finally showed up, and I eagerly demonstrated the games (Joust, Stargate, Midnight Magic, Pitfall II, Solaris).

He barely even paid attention. I guess there's just no getting through to some people. I won't even bother to show him my Adventure White Castle Drive-Thru mock-up...

(Yes, that was just a shameless plug to get more laughs for my joke from another thread...)

quote:

Originally posted by somePUNK:

I don't know i never played atrai or heard of it untill last year and now i'm a nut...

Well, it's good to know that a younger audience can appreciate it. (Man... I feel so old... and I'm only 28!)

quote:

Originally posted by room34:

Well, it's good to know that a younger audience
can
appreciate it. (Man... I feel so
old...
and I'm only 28!)

I'm 14 and I'm an Atari freak! I get a lot of crap from my "friends" that Atari really stinks because of the poor graphics and sounds. But ya know, the only people that say that are the PS2/Xbox freaks (most GameCube owners appreciate good gameplay). A lot of the popular kids at my school can't get enough of Kaboom!

quote:

Originally posted by Room34"

Do you honestly think that in 2022 anyone is going to give a whit about any game ever made for the Xbox?

I think every system has games that will last eternally.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: Varan ]

I'm sorry to bring this up, but I've heard of your trouble with trying to impress this guy with anything Atari.

I like the Atari 2600, I just got one like two weeks ago.

You might try Artillery Duel. I don't know of any game for Nintendo that has this type of gameplay.

Let's get serious tho...try impressing him with Atari 5200, you can't go wrong with this:

Show him the ULTRA smooth movement of the game Pac-Man. Ever try playing that on Nintendo? It sux, because it is SUPER ULTRA jerky.

Then have him try Centipede with a Trak Ball. I'm sorry, but nothing on Nintendo can match playing this game exactly like it was in the arcade!

Then move in for the kill, showing him either Real Sports Football, with the unique playbooks that work in concert with the keypad, or just a plain old game of Space Invaders, with the gorgeous large graphics and humorous creatures to kill.

Space Invaders competes with ANY game on the 8-bit Nintendo for sheer fun.

And not to mention that I can identify several games for the 7800 that have smoother graphics than how Nintendo is choppy.

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: KAZ ]

Sell it for the same amount as other 10's go for: $300-500

Quadrun, for example, is a 10 on the rarity list. I'm sure someone would bid on it, if you stuck an auction up for 6 days, and have a buy it now of like $500, with bidding starting at $300