IGNORED

how do you put an atari silver label cart back togather?

liquid_sky

Does it have the spring-loaded latching door, the spring-loaded non-latching door, or no door at all over the chip?

Are the silver-label carts manufactured differently from the earlier ones?

I've taken apart a few black label carts and I figured out the spring mechanism. Quite ingenious, really. No wonder Atari didn't pay its game designers better... too much money went into manufacturing!

Gotcha.

Those springs are tricky. What you need to do is line up the two pieces of the latching door in the bottom half of the cartridge. Then the two top hooks of the spring need to slide into a little groove in the inner piece of the latch. Once the spring is in the groove you'll know. You can push the slots on the end of the latching door (have you ever done this to clean the contacts? same thing), and it will slide as if the cart were all together. Once all of this is in place, slip the ROM chip back into its slot, then put the top of the cartridge back on.

Sorry I can't explain this better. I have only done this a couple times and it was several weeks ago.

I suppose I could videotape myself doing this and post a QuickTime. Let me know if this would be helpful.

I had forgotten that I'd taken apart a silver label (E.T.).

Yeah, they're the same... it's not an issue of the kind of label, just the way the latching mechanism on the end is designed. If it's the kind of game where you can't just push on the door with your finger and slide it back, then that's what we're dealing with.

quote:

Originally posted by osbo:

if i were u, i wouldn't worry about the dust cover

That brings up an interesting point: If the cartridge is the kind that has the latching dust cover, how the @#?$@! did a spider build a web inside it?

And by the way, just out of curiosity, what game was it?

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: room34 ]

quote:

Originally posted by osbo:

well... i got two cents

if i were u, i wouldn't worry about the dust cover

osbo

Just so you don't attempt this, as it will not work. The dust cover has latches that the Atari system needs for the game to actually plug into the Atari system.

Without them the dust cover on the Atari system cartridge port will remain closed and the game will not work.