IGNORED

Arcade Donkey Kong: Lets Settle This!

Atariboy2600

Base it on King Kong.  I believe I read that King Kong was in the public domain.  Make Mario look like Jack Black with his hair combed :)  If I ever had time, this is one game I would have worked on, but still would need to learn 6502 assembler.

Corey

1012093[/snapback]

Was Crazy Kong ever copyrighted or was it a pirate?

Base it on King Kong.  I believe I read that King Kong was in the public domain.  Make Mario look like Jack Black with his hair combed :)  If I ever had time, this is one game I would have worked on, but still would need to learn 6502 assembler.

Corey

1012093[/snapback]

Was Crazy Kong ever copyrighted or was it a pirate?

1012103[/snapback]

It was official. Falcon officially licensed for non-US markets. It ran on different hardware IIRC.

Tempest

Just call it Honkey Ding or something. Doesn't have to be called Donkey Kong..  just make the game the same pretty much :P

620399[/snapback]

Dude, you've got to remember that you coined that name. Every time I read it, I laugh. That would be the ultimate name for a refurbished hack. Too funny, too, too funny.

ò¿ó  

Yeah man I know, :lol: I just didn't want to repeat myself.. gotta keep it fresh! :P

I'll be the first to toss that name in the hat though if they were ever gathering suggestions :lol:

Besides, Nintendo (AFAIK) has no copyright on the 2600 DK code, only Trademark on Donkey Kong.

1011693[/snapback]

Unless there's a public record of them explicitly releasing it to the public, the copyright on DK/2600 should expire around 2077 (Coleco version) and 2082 (Atari version). That's 95 years (standard corporate copyright duration for published works) from 1987.

1012004[/snapback]

True. But Nintendo still doesn't own the copyright on that code, because Nintendo didn't write the code. Coleco owned and probably still owns the copyright on that specific game code.

-DS-

Iggy*SJB,Sat Feb 4, 2006 3:28 PM]Make him purple, and call it "Grape Ape".

:twisted:

1012649[/snapback]

Then Hanna-Barbera will be sending you a letter.

1013051[/snapback]

Cartoon Network Studios you mean?

1013083[/snapback]

That owns it now? It was H-B when they were originally created and the last time I watched when I was a kid.

• 7 months later...

You know, that is an interesting concept, that Donkey Kong basically leveraged litererary characters that are in the public domain.

I mean, seriously... ALL of the characters are kind of generic characters. "The italian mustachioed plumber... named "Mario"...

The giant , girlfriend stealing ape that climbs buildings... named "Kong".

The general concept itself could hardly be called "unique".