IGNORED

spectravideo compumate

CincYnoTi

anyone know of a good resource for information on the spectravideo compumate? i picked one up recently and without a manual, i can't do much other than type . has anyone scanned the manual or typed it in? and i'm guessing you could somehow save your programs off to a cassette. did this require a special cable or could a commodore tape drive/cable be used?

also, what are the conceptual difference between the compumate, magicard and personal game programmer from answer?

very nice, thanks glenn!

i know this is a rare item, so i assume there's not a lot of info about it out there. the manual says "Connect the plugs of the cord provided with Compumate to your cassette recorder..." does anyone have a picture of that cord? it sounds like two regular earphone/microphone cords could be used instead. hmmm, i bet you could hook it up through your pc's sound card to store programs onto your computer.

where would the difference between the pal and ntsc compumate be physically found? in the cartridge or the keyboard or both?

Yes, the Compumate uses standard audio connector cables. Any tape recorder with a microphone and an earphone connector should work.

The difference between the PAL and the NTSC Compumate is only in the code in the ROM and maybe the nameplate on the keyboard. The actual keyboard and cartridge hardware is the same for both versions.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Eckhard, is the ROM in the cartridge? has anyone dumped the ROM and got it to work on an emulator?

a block of keys on my keyboard don't seem to work. i guess i'll have to open it up and see if a spider has made a nest between the h and n key contacts

i thought the cassette tapes made by spectravideo were for the 8-bit computer system spectravideo made. do these also work on the compumate? i think i have one of those spectravideo tapes somewhere: file manager or something exciting like that.  

Those are for the Spectravideo Computers, like the SV328 or whatever. It seems one "program" was released for the Compumate.

There is more info on this recent thread:

Computer Addon for VCS

Steve / Jobf

CincYnoTi:

Yes the ROM is in the cartridge. The PAL ROMs has been dumped and it should be working on z26 and PCAE. I think you can find the ROM image in the 2600 section of AtariAge. The NTSC ROM hasn't been dumped yet. We are still looking for someone with a working NTSC Compumate who would be willing to help.

The Compumate switches through the collumns on the keyboard and then reads the keys in the current collumn through some input pins on the controller ports. If several keys in a collumn don't work, it might just be a loose wire or something. The actual foil keyboard itself is quite difficult to get into.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg