IGNORED

Test of incoming telnet

danwinslow

Lantronix has a full serial to ethernet server as well, about $59 and it is the size of a USB thumbdrive.

Here is the webpage, Digikey and Mouser sell these, they have one with no encryption which is the lower cost version:

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking...vers/xport.html

Curt

Thanks for the info guys. Thomas, this is not really a network adapter as you may be thinking. It is actually a very small intel 386 computer, fitted into the case of my 130xe, with a network adapter built into it. I have software running on it that handles moving the traffic back and forth. The actual TCP stack is running on the board, while everything from layer 4 up is on the Atari. So, technically, it really is about the same as using internet modem from APE, but with having to mess around trying to fool the Atari into thinking its a serial connection. Its a way we can write TCP applications like chat, telnet, ping, ftp, etc for the Atari in standard socket calls without having to host the overhead from a complete TCP stack on the Atari side. The current library is a simplified one for CC65, but I plan on an Action and a Basic one.

For controlling the IP, DNS, etc., the current C library call looks like this :

unsigned char ssio_init(char *ip, char *gateway, char *netmask, char *nameserver );

so a call like

ssio_init("192.168.1.120","192.168.1.1","255.255.255.0","68.15.16.25");

would set it up.

Supercat, me calling it a 'telnet' program is a bit of a stretch...it really was just a test harness designed for use by a telnet client. I just wanted to see if the general ideas I was having would work out. Things like echo and other niceties I hadn't even worried about yet.

1014408[/snapback]

Edited by Curt Vendel

Yes, I knew about those. I like the little board I am using better in that it has flash disk support, a PC file system for hosting ATR's, a real time clock, and other features that the lantronic does not. I can cross compile existing socket application code with very few changes, since I am emulating the library calls. I also have a SIO2PC service running, so it forms a self contained, rugged, and small SIO2PC+Ethernet setup that fits completely inside any atari.

Edited by danwinslow

• 1 month later...

Ok, an improved version of this will be up tonight. It should be up on IP 68.13.120.27 port 2300, and should be able to handle 8 simultaneous telnet-style connections. The stability is greatly improved.It should be up from 6:30PM CST for the rest of the night...unless it locks up, which is always possible. Warning, it is a bare minimum of functionality, about all you can do is pick a name and chat.