IGNORED

Some ST/TT/Falcon questions

I've a few questions regarding the ST/TT/Falcon computers (being as I'm thinking of purchasing one for numerous reasons).

First off, is there any place that I could buy any of the aformentioned computers for a fairly low price? I checked B&C Computervisions and the price for a refurbished Falcon030 with 14MB of memory was a bit rediculous ($999), same for a refurbished 1040STe with 4MB of memory ($849).

Second, I want to know what recommended peripherals are needed outside of a mouse, joystick, and monitor? I'm wanting to make use of a MIDI keyboard I'll be buying soon (would like to take up music as an extra hobby, and want to get my feet wet with the ST while adding a nice item to the collection). Would I need any harddrives if I want to use programs like Cubase, and if so how large of a drive can I go and what will I need to make it work?

Finally, where outside of eBay to I look for software? As mentioned I'd like to get Cubase and a couple other important programs, but also things such as entertainment software and the like (programming, etc.) as I want to do more than create chiptunes and play games.

If anyone can give some advice, I'd love to hear what you guys gotta say. Yes, I do remember reading that one can connect the Jaguar's gamepads up to the ST's analog joystick ports (I guess that's why the Falcon was used in Jaguar development). So any help is appreciated in also finding another use for those ports.

I've a few questions regarding the ST/TT/Falcon computers (being as I'm thinking of purchasing one for numerous reasons).

First off, is there any place that I could buy any of the aformentioned computers for a fairly low price?  I checked B&C Computervisions and the price for a refurbished Falcon030 with 14MB of memory was a bit rediculous ($999), same for a refurbished 1040STe with 4MB of memory ($849).

Second, I want to know what recommended peripherals are needed outside of a mouse, joystick, and monitor?  I'm wanting to make use of a MIDI keyboard I'll be buying soon (would like to take up music as an extra hobby, and want to get my feet wet with the ST while adding a nice item to the collection).  Would I need any harddrives if I want to use programs like Cubase, and if so how large of a drive can I go and what will I need to make it work?

Finally, where outside of eBay to I look for software?  As mentioned I'd like to get Cubase and a couple other important programs, but also things such as entertainment software and the like (programming, etc.) as I want to do more than create chiptunes and play games.

If anyone can give some advice, I'd love to hear what you guys gotta say.  Yes, I do remember reading that one can connect the Jaguar's gamepads up to the ST's analog joystick ports (I guess that's why the Falcon was used in Jaguar development).  So any help is appreciated in also finding another use for those ports.

1012889[/snapback]

If I was trying to get an Atari ST/Falcon, I'd try Ebay, as well as individual users. You'll find it much cheaper than the remaining dealers.

I'd highly recommend a hard drive. You'll need software like HDDriver and an interface like the Link2. Best Electronics sells complete rolled solutions. For the Falcon, Mega STe, or TT030, interfaces are built in. The Mega STEs is limited though. I'd also suggest a CDR(W). If you want to get online with it, then Rory Ms' EtherNEC is great as well.

B&C Computervision and Bravo Sierra both sell lots of software at fair prices. Ebay is still a good place to monitor for good stuff.

HTHs. :-)

I have seen maybe 10 or so falcons in about a year and a half. They usually go for around 300-500. Some cheaper if they aren't in perfect condition. As far as HD size, you just have to remember the 1GB partition limit, and 16 (?) partitions total..so anything over 16GB for drive size woul dcertainly be wasted. Actually, you can put a 1GB or 2GB compact flash card in there, and that makes a GREAT falcon system. All you need is a compact flash IDE adpater, they run about 50.00 or so...cheaper on ebay.

Also forgot to ask, are there any software incompatibilities I should worry about with the Falcon?  I'd like to know in case I do need to get like a 1040STe or similar.

1013379[/snapback]

Yes, there are a few incompatibilites. Go here:

http://www.myatari.com/f_games.txt

for a good list of whats what.

IMO, you'd be better off getting another ST like the STe as well.

You just can't have too many Atari computers. :-)

Thanks, DarkLord.  I see why you suggest a CD-R or CD-RW (ifI ever wanted to do Jag. development).  THing is, how big of a harddrive can I go up to, what connector does the CD-RW need, and in terms of eBay how often does a Falcon pop up?

Just trying to minimize my confusion here.

1013270[/snapback]

How big you can go on the hard drive depends on what model you have, and what HD interface.

Roughly, a Mega STe is limited to 1 gig with its internal interface. If you have a Link 2 using modern system software like HDDriver, there is a much higher limit. For example, I've got a Link 2 with HDDriver v8.15 on my 1987 Mega ST, running TOS 1.4, and I use a 4 gig HD with no problems at all. Keep in mind, I can't setup a 4 gig *partition*, but rather I can and do use 4 gigs worth of smaller partitions. Thats a TOS limit, AFAIK.

The TT030 and Falcon can pretty well use all but the largest drives. (and btw, all of them can pretty well still use a drive, they just won't be able to see all the space there). Important point, when you're talking ST through TT, you're pretty well talking SCSI peripherals.

The Falcon can use SCSI or IDE. I've got an 80 gig IDE drive and SCSI CDRW on my Falcon.

You'll see Falcons on Ebay every so often. They generally go for $300-400 from what I've seen. I think there is one on there now, if its not ended.

I am reading back your first topic.

OK.

If you want Cubase AUDIO, you DO need some SCSI stuff (an Iomega ZIP, JAZ or an HD), because Audio wants only the best :)

Otherwise, you'll be happy with anything IDE.

External? why? You can put a 80GIG internal HD without ANY hassle, just toying with the holes to fix the screws (they are not usually where they should be), and you have the original cased Falcon.

External things are more expansive, particularly SCSI ones, and 'regular' IDE disks need an adapter or a lot of soldering around to fit the 2.5" connector.

My towered Falcon has got one of those soldered adapters, and I have two regular HDs, more a CD-writer and a SCSI HD (for Audio) on the SCSI bus.

My open-up Falcon has a 30Gig 2.5 multi partitioned HD, sitting (almost) where it is meant to be (the holes issue...)