IGNORED

Goonies II for NES

I liked it back in the day although I always wondered what happened to Goonies I (remember this was back before the Internet). It's a long and complicated action/adventure, and some of the puzzles really don't make any sense (hit a certain wall in a certain room to reveal a passageway), but it's fun. I beat it quite a few times back in the day.

Tempest

I thought it was worth it, since that's what I paid at Goodwill for my copy (long BEFORE I knew students got 10% off with ID). I will agree the warp system is a big complicated, but with a map from GameFAQs it does become a lot easier. The only other major problem is the fact you lose ALL your keys/bombs/molotovs after continuing.

if you have the NES Players Guide, the game is quite easy, as the guide has a 95% walkthrough of the game.

goonies 1 was an arcade only game that played on the nintendo vs. system

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=G&game_id=7982

its probably ripe for translation to NES, but making new NES carts takes a lot more work than 2600 carts

its probably ripe for translation to NES, but making new NES carts takes a lot more work than 2600 carts

1014561[/snapback]

You can do what I did, just take the Famicom cart, get a cheapo converter from a Gyromite cart and make your own Goonies cart. Looks real and plays great. :)

Tempest

Konami should have just released the first Goonies game for the NES in America and scrap Goonies II.

1014523[/snapback]

Definitely! I don't like the weird first person type mazes in Goonies II. In fact, I almost didn't give Goonies a chance because at first it looked so similar to the version I'd played growing up. :P I have Goonies on two or three of my multicarts; I'm content to never buy a copy of Goonies II.

Goonies II was one of the first games I picked up for my NES "back in the day" when it originally came back. And it was one of the first games I promptly took back for a return (back when stores allowed returns on games).

I couldn't get in to it. Go through a door, fight a bear with a yo-you, go through another door, fight a bat with a slingshot, repeat over and over.

I have since picked up a copy for my collection, but don't think I've done more than tested it to make sure it works.

I liked it back in the day although I always wondered what happened to Goonies I (remember this was back before the Internet).  It's a long and complicated action/adventure, and some of the puzzles really don't make any sense (hit a certain wall in a certain room to reveal a passageway), but it's fun.  I beat it quite a few times back in the day.

Tempest

1014472[/snapback]

I, too, had wondered about the original Goonies game when I got my copy - I'm pretty sure that the original Goonies game was one of the games that came with my famicom disk drive system... seems like it played just slightly different from Goonies II - Goonies II must have just been a (barely) modified version of the first.

...but this really makes me want to double check it...

1014561[/snapback]

You can do what I did, just take the Famicom cart, get a cheapo converter from a Gyromite cart and make your own Goonies cart. Looks real and plays great. :)

Tempest

1014566[/snapback]

whoops - missed this post! :)

I definately recognize those screenshots. :) That's the version that I have on the disk drive.

I rented Goonies II a long time ago with a friend, and we both had a lot of fun with it, although you really have to invest a lot of time into exploring every nook and cranny. There's a password system for a reason, you know. :)

I don't recall if we managed to finish it before we took it back to the video rental store, but I do remember getting pretty deep into it. I've always liked exploration games, and Goonies II was a fun one, albeit a bit confusing at times.

One of these days, I'll have to play that game again. That and Legacy of the Wizard as well... :D

• 17 years later...
On 2/7/2006 at 9:31 AM, Radio F Software said:

I personally don't like it. I got the game when I was younger, I've had it for many, MANY years, and never once managed to beat the thing.

It's too confusing of a game IMHO.

Quoting this post of mine from 18 years ago to say I still haven't beaten this game, lmao.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This a top rated NES game in my estimation, top rated videogame for that matter. I don't know anything else that quite offers what Goonies II distinctively does. And besides gaming attributes, the movie tie-in is very original, clever and abnormal concept. As I recall the game is presented as a sequel to the movie, not a sequel to the arcade game, which is assumed to be forgotten or unknown. The many fantasy elements are so weird and intriguing and not directly based on movie.

Winning the game is actually pretty doable without cheating if you keep your own paper record of the two maps, where all the portals are between them and boundaries and other things are located. That in itself is a wildly dynamic concept, two maps that mirror each other and swap back and forth. SNES Zelda Link to the Past gets tons of credit for it but Goonies II does not. 

Maybe they made some mistakes building it, some things are routinely unfair in it, but it is really a very ambitious NES game which largely succeeds at what was attempted. Among ones you don't often hear about, it gets my highest recommendation.