IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 30: Omega Race

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over, no further scores will be accepted. If you still wish to discuss Omega Race and compare scores, feel free to use this thread, but your scores will not be included in the list.

We, the leaders of the Omegan Star System, have spent countless eons perfecting our method of training our warrirs to defend our star colonies. This method -- you may call it OMEGA RACE -- has proven so successful that evildoers tremble at the mere thought of interfering with us. As a result, our lives have become rather mundane and boring. So now we search the galaxies for other forms of intelligent life fast and tough enough to meet the challenge of our OMEGARACE. Having failed to locate such life, we're settling for you. We await you in the arena!

Note: This game normally requires the Booster Grip adaptor, but you can substitute a ColecoVision controller instead if you are playing on actual hardware. Apparently this does NOT work through a Stelladaptor however.

Game Information

• Game Name: Omega Race
  • Released By: CBS, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - One Player
  • Chosen By: Mad Scientist

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Feb 14th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be gospeedde! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 91,500 (Rom Hunter) [+11]
  2. 82,000 (SpiceWare) [+10]
  3. 73,000 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 58,500 (khryssun) [+8]
  5. 53,500 (Omegamatrix) [+7]
  6. 45,000 (Mad Scientist) [+6]
  7. 38,000 (LarcenTyler) [+5]
  8. 28,500 (vdub_bobby) [+4]

Best Tips

• None yet

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Default Mode)
  1. 221,000 (Ron Corcoran)
  2. 70,000 (Alan W Hewston)
  3. 53,000 (Mark Feldt)

Current Standings

1. Coming Eventually

Member List

gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman, Thomas Jentzsch, Christophero Sly, D.Yancey, mrppv666, Mordax, Numan, Mordax, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, scogey, graywest, RJ, Voch, video game addict, SpiceWare, Robert M, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, Gateway, Rom Hunter

Scoring Points in Omega Race

• Photon Mine - 500 points
  • Droid Ship - 1,000 points
  • Command Ship - 1,500 points
  • Death Ship - 2,500 points
  • Droid Force Bonus - 5,000 points

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual online. Here are the hints it provides:

1. Learn to use your Booster-Grop to control your direction as you ricochet off the walls of the arena.  Mastering this technique will almost always enable you to maintain a good position for destroying both Command Ships and Death Ships.

2. Use your thrust sparingly to "float" back and forth or up and down.  You'll be able to fire without worrying about navigating.

3. To rack up really high scores, go for the more valuable ships first.  Since they're always replaced, you'll be able to get more points for the same quantity of ships destroyed.

--Ze_ro

You know, this is the first time that I can't play this on the Atari 7800, since I don't have a Booster-Grip Adaptor! (And ProLines don't work either, sorry.)

Also, it seems Stella is slightly more suitable than Z26 for this game, IMO. I doubt I'll ever find one in time for this week's competition, but I have to wonder how rare Booster Grip Adaptors are on eBay/etc.? (Of course I could always use a ColecoVision controller if worst came to worst.)

post-1653-1139331081_thumb.jpg

Edited by LarcenTyler

You know, this is the first time that I can't play this on the Atari 7800, since I don't have a Booster-Grip Adaptor! (And ProLines don't work either, sorry.)

Also, it seems Stella is slightly more suitable than Z26 for this game, IMO.  I doubt I'll ever find one in time for this week's competition, but I have to wonder how rare Booster Grip Adaptors are on eBay/etc.? (Of course I could always use a ColecoVision controller if worst came to worst.)

1014530[/snapback]

Colecovision controllers work like that? that's awesome. I must give this a try.

Okay, I've disassembled and rebuilt three Coleco controllers now and I can't seem to get it to work. As far as I can tell the left button is for thrust. The right button on my controllers sometimes spins my ship or does nothing. I think it's supposed to be the fire button. The only way I can get my ship to fire is if I hold both buttons in and press left. Sometimes this doesn't work either. Is this an emulator problem with Z26? I read the instructions but all they say is you can swap the Booster Grip for a Coleco joystick if need be.

Okay, I've disassembled and rebuilt three Coleco controllers now and I can't seem to get it to work. As far as I can tell the left button is for thrust. The right button on my controllers sometimes spins my ship or does nothing. I think it's supposed to be the fire button. The only way I can get my ship to fire is if I hold both buttons in and press left. Sometimes this doesn't work either. Is this an emulator problem with Z26? I read the instructions but all they say is you can swap the Booster Grip for a Coleco joystick if need be.

1014695[/snapback]

From what I read in the tips section for Omega Race, it says, "Instead of using the preferred "Booster Grip" controller, a ColecoVision joystick may be used, using Left Fire or Right Fire to steer. Paddles may also be used, with the buttons used to steer and rotating the paddle clockwise to fire and move forward."

I'm wondering if using the knob on the ColecoVision controls firing or something? Or maybe one of the numeric keys?

Edited by LarcenTyler

It's a problem with Z26 detecting the Coleco joystick. I got it working on real hardware just now. The left button is for thrust, the right for firing. I'm also using X26 as a front end for Z26, and I tried changing all the settings but nothing seemed to work. If there is a way that someone has gotten it to work through X26 please post it.

Anyhow 2nd game 24,500.

Why-oh-why did the person who was selling this game along with numerous others at their yard sale have to loose their Booster-Grip Adaptor?! I so want to play this on my actual hardware, but I can't! Why are Booster-Grip Adaptors so rare?!

Why didn't they opt to have it control like Asteroids on the Atari 2600, where you push upwards to thrust and the button to fire?

*sighs* Yet another score in the meantime.

post-1653-1139370593_thumb.jpg