IGNORED

NES power question

Stella'sGhost

I know some of you collect for the NES 8 bit , I'm just starting the NES thing after years of Atari fun.

SO -I just got an NES 8 bit today and I have never owned one before, but it doesn't have an AC adapter, I have several generic ones the thing is does anyone know what the voltage setting should be? 9? 12? I'm afraid to guess cause I might damage it. Thanks...

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: StellasGhost ]

I think it works like this:

If you use a lower class power adapter for a higher system, there is no risk of damage...

If you were to use a higher class power adapter on a lower system, you'd burn it out.

So you could potentially use the power adapter from a 2600 to work on the NES, but not vice versa.

I'm not even sure if this would be compatible, but I think I've read about universal power adapters.

Supposedly there's nothing too mysterious about power supplies (except having too much voltage), but there's always significant differences when it comes to Switchboxes.

I could be completely wrong, but I think that's what I've read before.

This thread really does not belong in the Atari 2600 forum.

The original NES power adapter output specs are:

9 Volt AC power

1.3 Amps

60 Hz

An Atari 2600 power adapter won't work because the connector is wrong, it cannot safely handle the amperage requirements and because it is not AC voltage.

Ben

You can use a DC supply (of any polarity) on a machine that takes AC. I think it just converts the AC to DC with a rectifier, and the DC will pass right though it.

I've actually been using a 9V DC 450mA supply with my NES for a while with no problems. Maybe the 1.3A value is just overhead to power peripherals.

-Paul

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

This thread really does not belong in the Atari 2600 forum.

The original NES power adapter output specs are:

9 Volt AC power

1.3 Amps

60 Hz

An Atari 2600 power adapter won't work because the connector is wrong, it cannot safely handle the amperage requirements and because it is not AC voltage.

Ben

1.3 Amps... Yikes! Plenty of power for a games console. Maybe Nintendo had plans on making a really serious forcefeedback controller .. The dual BBQ shock 2010

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

Or maybe they originally planned to power R.O.B. from the console (?).

Yeah, that funny looking Nintendo robot, right? That could be it. Whatever happened to it, was it ever sold?

Yes, early Nes units came with it. Two games were made for it, but the robot was quickly removed from stores when it was learned that little girls had more fun with R.O.B. than anyone else .

Nintendo continued their tradition of useless devices by developing the U-Force and Powerglove** controllers.

**The Powerglove LOOKED cool...and probably would have been if it offered user programmability.

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

Yes, early Nes units came with it. Two games were made for it, but the robot was quickly removed from stores when it was learned that little girls had more fun with R.O.B. than anyone else .

Nintendo continued their tradition of useless devices by developing the U-Force and Powerglove** controllers.

**The Powerglove LOOKED cool...and probably would have been if it offered user programmability.

Ahh... I see, it was obviously a very well equiped robot