IGNORED

Tight fit!

Krytol

I just got a Heavy Sixer (I already have a 4-switch woody and a jr.) and noticed red label Atari carts and Imagic carts barely fit in the slot. You really have to cram them in, which I don't want to do with my nicer condition carts. 20th Cent.Fox carts fit WEIRD. Has anyone else noticed this?

Obviously, I won't be using this unit as my regular player.

I have also had problems with later-era Atari carts (especially red labels, but also my silver label Stargate, for example) in my 6-switch Sears Video Arcade.

They are also a bit tight in my 4-switch woodgrain, but not quite as bad.

I am using a 7800 as my primary system these days, though, and there is no problem with these carts in it. (In fact, I find in general that I have a lot more problems with 7800 carts in the 7800 than 2600 carts!)

quote:

Originally posted by Krytol:

I just got a Heavy Sixer (I already have a 4-switch woody and a jr.) and noticed red label Atari carts and Imagic carts barely fit in the slot. You really have to cram them in, which I don't want to do with my nicer condition carts. 20th Cent.Fox carts fit WEIRD. Has anyone else noticed this?

Obviously, I won't be using this unit as my regular player.

Yes, this is a common problem for the 6-Switch Atari 2600 system. I personally have owned 5 different 6-Switch systems and all of them had problems when I tried to insert a Red or Silver Labeled game into the cartridge slot.

Usually the games have to be forced and most often tear or rip the game label when you remove a game.

I highly recommend the 4-Switch or Junior systems to newbies that ask which version of the Atari 2600 to buy so they will avoid this problem.

This is COMPLETELY off-topic, but, since I've noticed things sometimes get a wee bit off topic around here, I guess this'll be o.k. ... I just wanna say how awesome it is to be involved in a board like this - with good hearted, REAL people. (Who sometimes bust eachother's balls.) I like the "community" feeling around here - I like that I can talk about Atari, something that was a huge part of my childhood - and not be looked at like I have a joystick stuck to my forehead. I like that "Room 34" makes funny pictures about Adventure. I also like that there are several Christians on this board. You all rock! Looking forward to meeting some of you all someday... (And whooping your butts in Warlords.) Game on, Ladies and Gentlemen. Andrew

quote:

Originally posted by tiggerthehun:

This is COMPLETELY off-topic, but, since I've noticed things sometimes get a wee bit off topic around here, I guess this'll be o.k. ... I just wanna say how awesome it is to be involved in a board like this - with good hearted, REAL people. (Who sometimes bust eachother's balls.) I like the "community" feeling around here - I like that I can talk about Atari, something that was a huge part of my childhood - and not be looked at like I have a joystick stuck to my forehead. I like that "Room 34" makes funny pictures about Adventure. I also like that there are several Christians on this board. You all rock! Looking forward to meeting some of you all someday... (And whooping your butts in Warlords.) Game on, Ladies and Gentlemen. Andrew

There are a lot of good folks here. On topic, I have trouble with certain carts in my 7800. That's why it is pretty much relagated to the shelf. Off topic, yes, I'd love to meet up with some other Atari fans. Oh, by the way, be careful about threats to "whoop my butt." I'm a rather fierce competitor!!

To Tigger:

Thanks! When I got the idea for the Adventure White Castle drive-thru, I couldn't stop laughing. I'm glad I found a place where this kind of insanity can be appreciated.

To Freedom:

What problems have you had with the 7800? I've only had one 2600 cart not work with mine Space Shuttle. (And really, how often would I play Space Shuttle anyway???)

some tigervision carts will not fit into a 7800. if i weren't so tired i'd go check.

guess i wasn't that tired. the tigervision carts with the sliding pcb protector fit just fine. the tigervision carts without the protector are a bit wider and won't fit in a 7800 unless you push REALLY hard.

i seem to recall some other brand made wider carts too, but not sure which.

I want a heavy sixer (Atari model, not Sears) just to have one of the 100,000 made...and because it is Wood Grain.

The fact that carts don't fit in it actually SUX, but I have my black vader, and it works just as well.

Tho the buttons are put on the heavy sixer differently, which might make playing on it interesting.

I didn't know there was an issue with carts not fitting into heavy sixers until now.

quote:

Originally posted by SuperPsycho:

maybe you could make some kind of extention to plug into the cartridge port that you would then plug cartridges into? I have no clue if that would be possible, but then nothing ventured nothing gained.

I made one of these for my 7800. Took a 2600 asteroids cart, clipped out the ROM chip, attached a 2600 cartridge connector to the far end, soldered the 24 wires, sealed up, and it worked the first time. Best should have cart connectors if you want to try it.

quote:

Originally posted by room34:

To Tigger:

Thanks! When I got the idea for the Adventure White Castle drive-thru, I couldn't stop laughing. I'm glad I found a place where this kind of insanity can be appreciated.

To Freedom:

What problems have you had with the 7800? I've only had one 2600 cart not work with mine — Space Shuttle. (And really, how often would I play Space Shuttle anyway???)

Well, I just plugged Stampede into it, it felt tight and I think I had trouble with my Kool Aid Man a while back (among others). I don't get to play it much and I don't see anything wrong with my 7800. I guess I just don't like my 7800???