IGNORED

Wonky silver keys on my 800XL.

Ross PK

Mine are also "wonky" but nowhere near that picture.

I got 2 new 800XL's this week and both have 'Sticky' function keys (RESET and OPTION). I was thinking I'd use some light contact cleaner in them to try to free them up unless someone knows something better.

Are you refering to them not working right or the fact that they are crooked? My 1200XL has the crooked silver keys, also not quite as bad as yours, but it looks similiar, except on the 1200XL you have more of them (function keys&inverse&break key too) so overall it still looks as bad due to the longer row of crooked keys. It seem to be a common problem with these machines, and I'm not sure why, I've noticed a similiar problem on many XE's too though. I know my XE's console keys also started to get crooked and sit at different heights too, but I recently replace my keyboard after two keys broke, so now I have a shiny new keyboard with all straight keys. I gave my XE a paint job too, while I had it apart to replace the keyboard, so now it looks like it's new! (painted a similiar matching grey to original) I really do have a new XE in the true sense as I also upgraded it to 320k&PAL Antic, so now I have some more programs&demos to use that could't be before (lots of european games&demos that require 128-320k) and I attached a new MyIDE hardisk in an ST drive case (with fresh paint job). But now I'm ranting and off subject. I sure wish I could straighten my "wonkey" XL keys too. It may just require replacment of the keyboard. I know that Best Electronics, B&C and Bravo Sierra Computer carry replacement XL keyboards, the first two dealers have links here at AA.

I have an ATARI 800XL and the silver keys (just 2) are just a tad bit crooked but my XL is in like new condition.

If 1 key is crooked to the right and another is crooked to the left then try switching the buttons and maybe that will straighten them out, try the following. . . .. . .

Switch the reset and options buttons then switch the select and start buttons, thats switch the buttons not the functions, just a thought

Edited by LYNXGUY

I have an ATARI 800XL and the silver keys (just 2) are just a tad bit crooked but my XL is in like new condition.

If 1 key is crooked to the right and another is crooked to the left then try switching the buttons and maybe that will straighten them out, try the following. . . .. . .

Switch the reset and options buttons then switch the select and start buttons, thats switch the buttons not the functions, just a thought

1017239[/snapback]

I hadn't thought about that, and I don't know why...thanks for the suggestion!

Ive done quite a few 800xl "restorations" and heres my suggestion:

pop the keys off, and mix and match them until you get the straightest possible combination. sometimes what you need to do is rotate the orientation of one or more keys 180 degrees.

You may also find it useful to loosen the screws that mount the keyboard to the case, and make a slight adjustment in positioning, then retighten.

The problem you are having IS common on 800XL machines, but Ive never found one that I couldnt achieve fairly decent results by the above 2 methods.

Hope it helps..

Ive done quite a few 800xl "restorations" and heres my suggestion:

pop the keys off, and mix and match them until you get the straightest possible combination. sometimes what you need to do is rotate the orientation of one or more keys 180 degrees.

You may also find it useful to loosen the screws that mount the keyboard to the case, and make a slight adjustment in positioning, then retighten.

The problem you are having IS common on 800XL machines, but Ive never found one that I couldnt achieve fairly decent results by the above 2 methods.

Hope it helps..

1018064[/snapback]

Or how about every other one 90 degrees and get that checkered-board brushed-metal effect... :P