IGNORED

1040STFM Modem and Web Browser?

Can anyone recommend a modem and web browser for the 1040STFM?

1016606[/snapback]

Personally, I'd recommend not getting a modem. Go for an EtherNEC and then something like Highwire with it. CAB is still out there too, just not supported anymore, AFAIK.

Oh, I'd make sure I've got 4 megs of RAM.

HTHs. :-)

Agreed!

CAB is stuck at HTML <4.01 IIRC, but the latest version has PNG support.

About the modem, I'd say that you can really well use it, since CAB was designed with modems in mind, so you'll find a lot of useful options for speeding up the browsing.

Yes, EtherNEC would be awesome, as is going to be Highwire; but it would lead you to setting up things a bit, maybe also installing MiNT.

CAB+PPPconnect is a no-brainer: install, set the telephone number and GO!

Agreed!

CAB is stuck at HTML <4.01 IIRC, but the latest version has PNG support.

About the modem, I'd say that you can really well use it, since CAB was designed with modems in mind, so you'll find a lot of useful options for speeding up the browsing.

Yes, EtherNEC would be awesome, as is going to be Highwire; but it would lead you to setting up things a bit, maybe also installing MiNT.

CAB+PPPconnect is a no-brainer: install, set the telephone number and GO!

1017465[/snapback]

Actually, you don't have to have MINT installed to use the EtherNEC. There is a STing setup for it. I've used it on my Mega ST4, so I know it works. Good stuff. :-)

For some people modems are the best option so I guess it just depends on the original posters current situation.

Actually, you don't have to have MINT installed to use the EtherNEC. There is a STing setup for it. I've used it on my Mega ST4, so I know it works. Good stuff. :-)

1017526[/snapback]

Oh, I didn't know that! (mainly because I am waiting for EtherNAT on my MiNT setup)

That's good to know, though.

BTW have you seen this project - EtherNEC2 on the Atari-forum? It looks very handy compared to original EtherNEC

http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=773...47cd520a062f7f0

1017707[/snapback]

Yep, was following that one with real interest! :-)

1017771[/snapback]

Thanks for the input. I'm limited to dail-up just right now, though. Cal

1017526[/snapback]

Oh, I didn't know that! (mainly because I am waiting for EtherNAT on my MiNT setup)

That's good to know, though.

1017712[/snapback]

I'm waiting on that too! Did you see that last update I posted. Looks like the countdown is down to just a few weeks. :-)

• 1 month later...

Although Ethernec does work without MiNT highwire does need MiNT, MagiC, maybe Geneva or TOS 4.04.

MiNT and MagiC are definately working Geneva is said to do and TOS 4.04 did some versions of highwire ago - don't know if it still can be used...

Edited by jens