IGNORED

Pause feature in 2600 games

DEBRO

I posted this on the StellaList too but I thought I'd ask here in case others don't subscribe.

How would you feel about using the Game Select switch as a pause button? I know Kool-Aid Man uses the difficulty switch for a pause feature but it can make the player think the game has lock up. Using the Game Select gives the programmer a little more control plus it debounces.

I thought about using the B/W switch. Making the player start in the color position and quickly switch to B/W and back to color to do the pause. This would work on the 7800 and even let you use the Pause button but it's awkward for the 2600 player.

Anyone have any more ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by DEBRO:

How would you feel about using the Game Select switch as a pause button? I know Kool-Aid Man uses the difficulty switch for a pause feature but it can make the player think the game has lock up.

That's not necessary. Just use a bit to remember the state of the switch when you reset the game. If the state of the switch changes, then pause the game. That's exactly what I did in Thrust+.

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

That's not necessary. Just use a bit to remember the state of the switch when you reset the game. If the state of the switch changes, then pause the game. That's exactly what I did in Thrust+.

Now that seems simple enough Another case of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I didn't know Thrust+ had a pause feature.

• 6 months later...

Return of the Jedi: Death Star Battle does, I think you press Game Select and it'll pause.

H. E. R. O. and Kaboom! doesn't start things up until you press a button (or move a control on H. E. R. O.). Ram It won't start until you press the button either.

Fathom sort of has a pause, you just move your seagull to the screen where the dolphin is and your points won't decrease.

Midnight Magic won't start in between balls until you fire the plunger.

If you have the space to program in a Pause feature, and you're ignoring the black & white switch, I would say use it.  I would rather see that than the Select button, plus as you said, it can be made to work with the Pause button on the 7800.  :)

..Al

I thought about using the B&W switch (as noted in the Atari 2600 Game Standards and Procedures document). The problem I have with that is it alienates the 7800 owners. Their pause switch is wired to the B&W switch in 2600 mode but the button depresses like the select button. So their state will always be color, then when they press the button it will switch to black and white, and when they let go it will switch back to color. In the demo of Climber5 I posted I use the select key as a pause feature. I have moved it to the fire button instead since the fire button isn't used in the game and the player won't have to reach the console to pause the action.

Halloween doesn't have a "pause" per se, but you can rest in one of the four "safe rooms" at either end of the house forever. Michael doesn't come in here and there is no timer to the game. Drop off a kid and go get a sammich or something. Come back when you're ready to play again.

Secret Quest let you pause on the 2600 by toggling the B&W/Color switch twice (i.e. changing it and then putting it back), and 7800 owners could just press the Pause button. You might want to look into how that works -- I'm guessing the Pause button just did the B&W/Color toggle twice.

Secret Quest let you pause on the 2600 by toggling the B&W/Color switch twice (i.e. changing it and then putting it back), and 7800 owners could just press the Pause button.  You might want to look into how that works -- I'm guessing the Pause button just did the B&W/Color toggle twice.

Oh, it can definitely be done but it seems a little awkward to me for a 2600 owner to have to do this.

Secret Quest let you pause on the 2600 by toggling the B&W/Color switch twice (i.e. changing it and then putting it back), and 7800 owners could just press the Pause button.  You might want to look into how that works -- I'm guessing the Pause button just did the B&W/Color toggle twice.

Oh, it can definitely be done but it seems a little awkward to me for a 2600 owner to have to do this.

How about this? Whenever the state of the BW/C switch changes, toggle the pause mode, then don't count further changes for a second or two afterwards (just be sure to keep track of where the switch is). So just flipping the switch once on the 2600 will turn pause on/off, and hitting the pause button on the 7800 would also toggle pause as long as it's not held down too long (else it will be toggled again when released). It's a little like the << and >> buttons on a CD player.

• 21 years later...

21 Years Later

Here are the lists so far.

Spoiler

Color/B&W Switch

1. Climber 5
  2. Cross Force
  3. Fast Eddie
  4. Secret Quest
  5. Super Football
  6. Turmoil
  7. Xenophobe

Difficulty Switch

1. Burger Time
  2. Kool-Aide Man
  3. Thrust Platinum

Fire Button

Game Select Switch

1. Star Wars Return of the Jedi Death Star Battle

What other Atari 2600 games with a pause feature built in can you think of to add to the list?