IGNORED

ebay terminology for modded fb2's

????????? I never knew that!!!! I wonder why?

1017215[/snapback]

Most modded modern consoles are chipped in order to allow them to play pirated games. It is against federal law to circumvent any form of copy protection on any consumer electronics device. So having, selling, or buying a modded XBox, PS1 or PS2 is breaking federal law. Honestly. Welcome to the land of the free...

With the Flashback 2, the system is *designed* by the manufacturer to be modded, and that specific mod does NOT circumvent DMCA laws. Which is what makes it a different case.

As for how to word it on eBay... just sell it here. Heh. :D

Really... I suppose you could call it a "Atari Flashback 2 enhanced with Cartridge Port".

If I was searching for a modded FB2, I'd search for the term "Hacked", too... being that this is how they're refered to within the community.

Iggy*SJB,Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:46 AM]????????? I never knew that!!!! I wonder why?

1017215[/snapback]

Most modded modern consoles are chipped in order to allow them to play pirated games. It is against federal law to circumvent any form of copy protection on any consumer electronics device. So having, selling, or buying a modded XBox, PS1 or PS2 is breaking federal law. Honestly. Welcome to the land of the free...

With the Flashback 2, the system is *designed* by the manufacturer to be modded, and that specific mod does NOT circumvent DMCA laws. Which is what makes it a different case.

As for how to word it on eBay... just sell it here. Heh. :D

Really... I suppose you could call it a "Atari Flashback 2 enhanced with Cartridge Port".

If I was searching for a modded FB2, I'd search for the term "Hacked", too... being that this is how they're refered to within the community.

1017423[/snapback]

Are you so sure about that? After all, couldn't people make pirated 2600 carts? I mean, granted, the 2600 is over 20 years old, and no new OFFICIAL carts are being manufactured for it.....but we can't be allowing people to pirate out of print games, either! :roll:

Sorry, just being a "devils advocate asshole" for a minute.

I kinda understand the logic there....but I still think it's rather stupid. For example, what is to stop someone from e-bay'ing whatever materials are needed to make such a hack? I'd almost be willing to bet they do. Let me guess....it isn't the parts that are illegal, just the use of them....... :?

I'm not picking on you, I appreciate being informed that this kind of stupidity has even permiated e-bay. :sad:

How about "Cartidge Enabled" FB2?

Are you so sure about that? After all, couldn't people make pirated 2600 carts? I mean, granted, the 2600 is over 20 years old, and no new OFFICIAL carts are being manufactured for it.....but we can't be allowing people to pirate out of print games, either! :roll:

Sorry, just being a "devils advocate asshole" for a minute.

I kinda understand the logic there....but I still think it's rather stupid. For example, what is to stop someone from e-bay'ing whatever materials are needed to make such a hack? I'd almost be willing to bet they do. Let me guess....it isn't the parts that are illegal, just the use of them....... :?

I'm not picking on you, I appreciate being informed that this kind of stupidity has even permiated e-bay.  :sad:

How about "Cartidge Enabled" FB2?

1017491[/snapback]

I completely understand. But keep in mind, eBay is simply trying not to run afoul of US Federal law - US Federal Laws that favor huge global multinational corporations and have little or no regard for consumer rights.

And it depends... materials versus assembled units. And, some devices that can BE used to bypass copy protection have legitimate uses as well. But, XBox mods, PS mods... they exist pretty much solely to circumvent copy protection schemes.

And there is a difference. Modding a FB2 does not in any way facillitate the pirating of Atari cartridges. Interestingly, you could argue that the Arcadia/Starpath Supercharger should be banned on eBay, as it DOES allow a user to load a ROM image downloaded illegally off the Internet.

Interesting topic, really. While a static Multi-cart with ROM images on it is not allowed on eBay... I wonder what their stand is on a USB Multicart that comes blank. This is an item with potential legitimate uses OTHER than playing illegal ROM images. It becomes a slippery slope for eBay... and they're probably opening themselves up to some legal liability by being inconsistent in their policies (for example, I bet they disallow a blank USB multi cart and a static multi-cart, but they allow the Supercharger... all of which can be used to achieve the same results). I suppose we could all get together and search for a reason to file a class-action against eBay.

But, keep in mind... this is all in response to the Digital Millinium Copyright Act... and the courts have been finding the most insane conclusions when it comes to protecting corporate IP over the interests of the consumers. DVD XCopy was put out of business by this kind of thing. That is the most chilling thing... their code, *alone*, was considered illegal. By courts bought and paid for by the RIAA and MPAA.

You can't sell any game console modded even if you word it differently. I tried and they killed my auctions before they finished. One was a flip top PS2 and the flip top was just because the tray broke and not for back ups. I even said that in the auction. It did eventually sell, but they tried to stop it. It is possible to slip through the cracks sometimes. I saw someone sell a soft modded Xbox a little while ago that went the whole 7 days before it sold. I doubt they'd let the carts sell either.

Edited by dalton4life