IGNORED

I have a 5200. Do I need an Atari computer?

TomBrazil

Hello there. I'm not used to post in this forum, since I collect for 2600, 5200 and 7800 consoles (if you wanna take a look at my collection, follow my signature).

Anyway, I was wondering if an Atari computer would be a great addiction to my collection. I was told 5200 games are pretty similar, sometimes they're the same as Atari 8-bit ones.

Can you give me a clue about it? If the games are really the same, I see no reason to spend more money in my already oversized collection.

Thank you guys,

Hello there. I'm not used to post in this forum, since I collect for 2600, 5200 and 7800 consoles (if you wanna take a look at my collection, follow my signature).

Anyway, I was wondering if an Atari computer would be a great addiction to my collection. I was told 5200 games are pretty similar, sometimes they're the same as Atari 8-bit ones.

Can you give me a clue about it? If the games are really the same, I see no reason to spend more money in my already oversized collection.

Thank you guys,

1017337[/snapback]

I guess the main difference is that there are many games available on the a8 that are not for the 5200. Many good/great ones at that. It'll definitely be a great addiction! :D

Since the 5200 is very similar to an Atari 400 the games are the same in many cases - All of the 5200 games have been ported to the 8bit computer line in some form or fashion - however it is impossible for the 5200 to play many of the 8bit computer games due to memory issues.

An 800xl is the perfect machine IMHO - small, compact and able to play most things :)

Thank you guys,

1017337[/snapback]

I guess the main difference is that there are many games available on the a8 that are not for the 5200. Many good/great ones at that. It'll definitely be a great addiction! :D

1017343[/snapback]

Freudian (Fruedian?) slip? :D

Edited by Gunstar

If you love the 5200, you'll really love the 8-bit Atari. It just about all the same great games the 5200 has, in some instances the 5200 version is better and in some the 8-bit and others they are identical. But, the 8-bit has thousands upon thousands of games from around the world from the past 27 years in cartridge, disk and cassette forms. It's also possible to play 5200 (hacked) rom images on an 8-bit, so you can have both versions of many games and the best of both worlds! Plus the bonus of playing 5200 games with any standard 9-pin Atari compatible controller or trackball instead of the analog 5200 stick (if you don't like it, but for some 5200 games, like Star Raiders and Joust, the 5200 analog has no substitutes! I like it myself). The 5200 is limited to 8, 16&32k cartridges. the 8-bit has cartridges that range from 8k-128k or more! Most games are 48k-64k on disk, some less, some more...same with cassette software. For an analogy, the 5200 is to the 8-bit Atari what the Genesis is to the SegaCD, in terms of added abilities and larger games.

Edited by Gunstar

Naturally when the 5200 vs. 8-bit forem goes on in the 5200 forems they tend to say that though the 5200 games were more or less ported to the 8-bit machines, the controls are better on the 5200 for those games.

Space Dungeon (a ported 5200 game to the 8-bit and a fav of mine) is one where they say the 5200 version is better. Star Raiders, which I think is the most amazing game on the Atari 8-bits, is actually better with the analog sticks on the 5200.

However, these examples are few and far between. Try playing a 4 directional game of Pac-Man with a 360 degree analog stick and suddenly the idea of the 5200 is not so hot. It works well in SOME cases though.

In truth, you can get a 5200, get the redemption module for better controllers in cases like Pac-Man to use the typical Atari 2600 sticks, and get I believe a cuttle cart for loading rom images.

I am of the conviction that since the 5200 is a Atari 400, that movements should be made to bring the 5200 into the 8-bit fold. I think it would be great for memory expansion yadda yadda, and then that would open up a lot for that system.

Yes, the 8-bits have many more games. But then again, there is a lot to be said for a cool black system with cool controllers that store in it's case. So dunno.

I have both, but keep the 5200 around only because it reminds me of my fav 400/800 systems.