IGNORED

A serious 7800/2600 question for me:

SHAGOHOD X99

I've been reading some of the past threads here in the 7800 section for the last few nights and have learned a lot (like that my idea to use my Mega Drive controllers like I do on my 2600 won't work without a mod :(), and one of the things I was reading on in the 7800 F.A.Q. is that not all 2600 VCS games will play on the 7800 PS.

Well one of my all time fave's is Snoopy & The Red Baron which I play rather frequently still, and I was wondering if any of you know if this might be one of the games that won't work on the 7800? I'm not getting rid of my 2600 but I'd like to put it in storage once I get me the ProSystem. Snoopy is a rather obscure title from what I've seen over the years, so does anyone know if the game will or will not work on a 7800? Any help on this is appreciated.

:pirate:

Edited by SHAGOHOD X99

There are only a very small amount of games that won't play on 7800's. I have a collection of around 250 different 2600 games may even be more) and only have 2 that don't work on my 7800 which are Robot Tank and Space Shuttle, both by Activision and I believe this is to do with the type of bankswitching used on these games.

There are only a very small amount of games that won't play on 7800's. I have a collection of around 250 different 2600 games may even be more) and only have 2 that don't work on my 7800 which are Robot Tank and Space Shuttle, both by Activision and I believe this is to do with the type of bankswitching used on these games.

1018397[/snapback]

Snoopy works on all of my 7800's I have one that runs everything, one that runs most things and one that hates alot of Activision titles, (but not  that one, at least not today).

1018410[/snapback]

Well thank you both for answering my question. It's also good to know that Snoopy & The Red Baron shouldn't have any problems on the 7800, as that and Crystal Castles will more than likely be the two 2600 games I will play the most often once I get me a Pro System.

Two more questions concerning the 7800 if I may though...

01> How durable are the 7800 Joysticks? Do they last or are they prone to break easily?

02> What is that other odd looking (though more conventional looking) game pad I often see with the 7800 instead of the joysticks? (see pic below). Are these kinds of controllers rare or something because I always only see the bulkier joysticks with system.

7800pic0oc.gif

1018397[/snapback]

Snoopy works on all of my 7800's I have one that runs everything, one that runs most things and one that hates alot of Activision titles, (but not  that one, at least not today).

1018410[/snapback]

Well thank you both for answering my question. It's also good to know that Snoopy & The Red Baron shouldn't have any problems on the 7800, as that and Crystal Castles will more than likely be the two 2600 games I will play the most often once I get me a Pro System.

01> How durable are the 7800 Joysticks? Do they last or are they prone to break easily?

02> What is that other odd looking (though more conventional looking) game pad I often see with the 7800 instead of the joysticks? (see pic below). Are these kinds of controllers rare or something because I always only see the bulkier joysticks with system.

7800pic0oc.gif

1018423[/snapback]

1. The joysticks hurt your ams and hands. I can't remember if I broke any or not. I played the 7800 non-stop from Christams of 1989 to dec. 1991.

2. They are released in europe only. I had a chance to play with them in a event called the midwest classic in 2002 and bought them last year. They are better then the bulkier joysticks. They are better on your hands. They can be used in a 7800 in the united states.

I have the "Euro Pads" they are a bit like the NES pads but even better as they have a little thumb joystick (you should be able to see in your picture) that you can screw into the middle of the Joypad which means you can vary the pad according to which game you are playing, very cool indeed. :cool:

There is a light gun for the 7800 too.

01> How durable are the 7800 Joysticks?  Do they last or are they prone to break easily?

1018423[/snapback]

The 7800 ProLine controllers are not the most comfortable joysticks in the world, to be sure, but I kind of like them anyway because they're very well made and durable and have a certain elegant simplicity about them, especially compared to the overdesigned and failure-prone 5200 controllers.

Many 7800 players prefer the European gamepads (which are the controllers in your picture), but these aren't too comfortable, either. The action buttons are outside the comfortable reach of the thumb, and the gamepads themselves have a lightweight, "cheap" feel compared to the rugged ProLines. I think there was at least one third-party controller that supported the two-button 7800 configuration, and recently, a few people on these boards have begun building custom controllers of their own (including modified NES pads and the Space Invaders arcade controller).

I've been reading some of the past threads here in the 7800 section for the last few nights and have learned a lot (like that my idea to use my Mega Drive controllers like I do on my 2600 won't work without a mod :(), and one of the things I was reading on in the 7800 F.A.Q. is that not all 2600 VCS games will play on the 7800 PS.

1018392[/snapback]

This section in the FAQ explains it

I think it depends on the 7800 version you buy. In any case Snoopy should work.

The 7800 ProLine controllers are not the most comfortable joysticks in the world, to be sure, but I kind of like them anyway because they're very well made and durable and have a certain elegant simplicity about them, especially compared to the overdesigned and failure-prone 5200 controllers.

Many 7800 players prefer the European gamepads (which are the controllers in your picture), but these aren't too comfortable, either.  The action buttons are outside the comfortable reach of the thumb, and the gamepads themselves have a lightweight, "cheap" feel compared to the rugged ProLines.  I think there was at least one third-party controller that supported the two-button 7800 configuration, and recently, a few people on these boards have begun building custom controllers of their own (including modified NES pads and the Space Invaders arcade controller).

1018458[/snapback]

#1> Again thanks to everyone helping out in this thread.

#2> Euro Pads eh? Now I guess my question would be how

difficult is it to find those? I've never seen any (as of late) up

on Ebay neither separately or with a system bundle.

#3> Well it's good to know that the ProLine Joysticks are at least

built like a tank. I think with what I know now I can safely go ahead

and find me a 7800 ProSystem and join in the fun I never got to

partake in back in the day.

:ahoy:

#2> Euro Pads eh?  Now I guess my question would be how difficult is it to find those? I've never seen any (as of late) up on Ebay neither separately or with a system bundle.

1018527[/snapback]

I guess their availability on eBay comes and goes; I've got a couple new ones that I picked up fairly cheaply two years ago or so. There are a number of Atari suppliers (B&C ComputerVisions, Best Electronics, etc.) that carry them also.

#2> Euro Pads eh?  Now I guess my question would be how

1018527[/snapback]

CX-78 jopypads (what you call "euro" pads) are avalible from Best Electronics for $15 bucks each brand new. Well worth it also. They are much better than prolines, My prolines where used as parts about a week afte rI got my first set of cx-78's.

Shawn Sr.

1018527[/snapback]

CX-78 jopypads (what you call "euro" pads) are avalible from Best Electronics for $15 bucks each brand new. Well worth it also. They are much better than prolines, My prolines where used as parts about a week afte rI got my first set of cx-78's.

Shawn Sr.

1018547[/snapback]

Sweet! But where is "Best Electronics" ??? I typed it into the URL

and got nothing right now. I'd be greatful for a link if you or anyone else

could provide one (assuming they're online). :ahoy:

1018527[/snapback]

Shawn Sr.

1018547[/snapback]

Sweet! But where is "Best Electronics" ??? I typed it into the URL

and got nothing right now. I'd be greatful for a link if you or anyone else

could provide one (assuming they're online). :ahoy:

1018575[/snapback]

heres the linky~

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

Many 7800 games can be used with the 2600 joysticks. Asteroids, Centipede, and Joust are some of the best titles, and they all use the 2600 joysticks. A 7800 stick can be used for these games as well, but at the expense of comfort.

I personally don't have any gripes about the Pro Line sticks. I've got a gob of gaming systems with their own controllers, and I get used to just about every stick, pad, or appendage that comes my way.

I've got at least one system that's a whole lot harder on the hands than those ProLines are.

As you see, nearly any 2600 game we can think of works on a 7800. A word of caution: Some cartridges fit very tightly into the slot. The FAQ may list what brands they are. I personally had trouble with Imagic and some Activision titles until I modified the cartridge port on my 7800. Activision and most third party games were tight, and Imagic didn't fit at all. Once the mod was done, they all fit like a glove.

@ shadow460

...thanks for the further elaborated on details. Yeah I'm sure I can get used to the Proline joysticks since I did learn to manage my way around the ColecoVision controller which to me is still an engineering condom leak for all purposes, but I do like the looks of those CX-78 controllers much better, though I'd rather be able to use my Mega Drive 3 button controllers like I do on my 2600 VCS, but unless someone's selling modded gamepads I'm not even going to attempt trying to mod one myself.

Thanks again for the assistance.

:jango:

I've never found the Proline sticks uncomfortable, just very poorly made. Back in the 80s when I got my first 7800 I sent in probably 3 or 4 proline joysticks before their 90 warranty was up and eventually bought a couple of 3rd party Epyx controllers that had one button and just used the prolines when absolutely required for a 7800 game.

This is why I went ahead and got a couple of the space invader games and had Jay mod them for me.

The Space Shuttle cart doesn't work with the 7800? I wonder why it works when used with the Cuttle Cart 2?

Hamm's got a good point, too about the Pro lines. I do the same thing. I like the CX-40B much better than the Pro Line, and I use the CX-40B whenever possible.

I only use the Pro Line when I absolutely need that second fire button. Some games use it in ways I don't need, like Asteroids (hyperspace usually = suicide) and Dark Chambers (expert players don't need bombs anyway).

I might use it if the game is more of a point and click style like Mean 18 is. There's no real jerking and tugging on the Pro Line in that game--it's just select, point, and click, click, click.

2600 games like Stellar Track and Othello would be suitable for the Pro Line. As a matter of fact, when Ze_ro ran Othello in the 2600 HSC, I used a Pro Line to play it.

The Space Shuttle cart doesn't work with the 7800?  I wonder why it works when used with the Cuttle Cart 2?

1022218[/snapback]

It DOES work. I have 2 copies of Space Shuttle, one with the picture label, and one that's a blue label. BOTH work with the 7800, in addition to EVERY OTHER game on the CC2.

The reports of incompatibilites of 2600 carts with the 7800 are so few and far between it's ridiculous. It's almost as if some rabid 5200 or Colecovision fanboi created the incompatibility listings to help further his retarded agenda of making his system of choice look better and gain a following of 7800 detractors.

Enough. The chances that your 7800 will be incompatible with any games 2600 or otherwise (provided they actually fit in tha cart slot correctly, which isn't so much a compatibility issues as it is a manufacturing defect) are slim to none.

The Space Shuttle cart doesn't work with the 7800?  I wonder why it works when used with the Cuttle Cart 2?

1022218[/snapback]

It DOES work. I have 2 copies of Space Shuttle, one with the picture label, and one that's a blue label. BOTH work with the 7800, in addition to EVERY OTHER game on the CC2.

The reports of incompatibilites of 2600 carts with the 7800 are so few and far between it's ridiculous. It's almost as if some rabid 5200 or Colecovision fanboi created the incompatibility listings to help further his retarded agenda of making his system of choice look better and gain a following of 7800 detractors.

Enough. The chances that your 7800 will be incompatible with any games 2600 or otherwise (provided they actually fit in tha cart slot correctly, which isn't so much a compatibility issues as it is a manufacturing defect) are slim to none.

1022455[/snapback]

Can't agree with ya more, Danno. This is why I still use my 2600 for 2600 games. Despite my Robot Tank cartridge works, I have a number of 2600 cartridges (including Red-Label ones like Crossbow) that don't fit properly. It's for this reason alone I continue to use the 2600 as well.

And the "manufacturing defect" with the cart slot is REALLY easily fixed. It requires a philips head screwdriver and a solid pair of scissors.

1. Unscrew the 4 screws on the bottom of the 7800 unit, and open the plastic shell casing.

2. Find the "Cart Cup" that surrounds the Cartridge port.

3. Use scissors to cut straight down on the corners of the "cart cup". It may crack. Fear not, this is fine. It is a useless piece of plastic.

4. Test to see that previously Non-fitting carts now fit properly. (if not, cut into cup elsewhere until they do.)

5. Replace shell casing and screws.

Enjoy!