IGNORED

A serious 7800/2600 question for me:

SHAGOHOD X99

Not true at all, certain games won't run on certain consoles. Time Pilot doesn't run on one of my 7800's for example. Haven't dug it out to try the CCII on it to see if that makes a difference though. The 7800 I play on seems to be compatible with everything.

1022633[/snapback]

Bottom line - you are able to play it on a 7800, just not tat one in particular. This isn't due to a compatiblity issue that goes across the board. It's an isolated incident, especially considering Time Pilot isn't even on the list of "possible frequent offenders".

The Space Shuttle cart doesn't work with the 7800?  I wonder why it works when used with the Cuttle Cart 2?

1022218[/snapback]

It DOES work. I have 2 copies of Space Shuttle, one with the picture label, and one that's a blue label. BOTH work with the 7800, in addition to EVERY OTHER game on the CC2.

The reports of incompatibilites of 2600 carts with the 7800 are so few and far between it's ridiculous. It's almost as if some rabid 5200 or Colecovision fanboi created the incompatibility listings to help further his retarded agenda of making his system of choice look better and gain a following of 7800 detractors.

Enough. The chances that your 7800 will be incompatible with any games 2600 or otherwise (provided they actually fit in tha cart slot correctly, which isn't so much a compatibility issues as it is a manufacturing defect) are slim to none.

1022455[/snapback]

Well I'm telling you that both Space Shuttle and Robot Tank DON'T work on my 7800, and i'm not the only one. The screen just flickers and the game also freezes, although I do know they work on some 7800's.

Edited by mr.kizza

The Space Shuttle cart doesn't work with the 7800?  I wonder why it works when used with the Cuttle Cart 2?

1022218[/snapback]

It DOES work. I have 2 copies of Space Shuttle, one with the picture label, and one that's a blue label. BOTH work with the 7800, in addition to EVERY OTHER game on the CC2.

The reports of incompatibilites of 2600 carts with the 7800 are so few and far between it's ridiculous. It's almost as if some rabid 5200 or Colecovision fanboi created the incompatibility listings to help further his retarded agenda of making his system of choice look better and gain a following of 7800 detractors.

Enough. The chances that your 7800 will be incompatible with any games 2600 or otherwise (provided they actually fit in tha cart slot correctly, which isn't so much a compatibility issues as it is a manufacturing defect) are slim to none.

1022455[/snapback]

Well I'm telling you that both Space Shuttle and Robot Tank DON'T work on my 7800, and i'm not the only one. The screen just flickers and the game also freezes, although I do know they work on some 7800's.

1022655[/snapback]

That's entirely different from perpetuating the myth that the 7800 is "Not compatible with some 2600 games". That's just flat out not true. There are limited amounts of 7800s that MIGHT have problems playing CERTAIN 2600 carts, depending upon both the manufacturing revision of the 7800 unit itself, and the the manufacturing revision of the 2600 game in question. And even then, the results are unfounded and sketchy.

Based up the research documented in the 7800 FAQ right here on this site - NONE of "2600 games in question" should work on my current in use unmodified 7800, based upon the serial number and revision date/version as listed on the unit's motherboard. yet they all work. No problem. Same went for the 7800 I had as a kid, when I had all of the same games (albeit different carts that are long since tossed away).

What I said stands. The chances that you'll come across a 7800 unit that is "incompatible" with a game, and isn't just a burned out 20 something year old cartridge are slim to none.

1022655[/snapback]

From what I understand, the address timing on the 7800 wasn't quite right for the game Darm Chambers, so Atari added a circuit to try to fix it. Unfortunately, that circuit changes the address timing in a way that Dark Chambers lines, but some other games to not. Different versions of the 7800 have different versions of this circuit, or else don't have it at all.

I'd be curious if anyone can provide any more detailed information on exactly what's delayed, since that may be important for the 4A50 cart to function correctly.

1022455[/snapback]

WTF?

It was a mystery for a long while. It was a big breakthrough when the offending circuitry was finally figured out. There is a hack somewhere that shows how you can modify your 7800 to be compatible. If someone has a problem with their 7800 I would look into performing the hack rather than just dealing with the incompatibility.

@ shadow460

...thanks for the further elaborated on details.  Yeah I'm sure I can get used to the Proline joysticks since I did learn to manage my way around the ColecoVision controller which to me is still an engineering condom leak for all purposes, but I do like the looks of those CX-78 controllers much better, though I'd rather be able to use my Mega Drive 3 button controllers like I do on my 2600 VCS, but unless someone's selling modded gamepads I'm not even going to attempt trying to mod one myself. 

Thanks again for the assistance.

:jango:

1019180[/snapback]

Just to clarify, the sega pads work fine as-is on all one button games for this system. That would include any 2600 game you use on it and most 7800 games. Only need to mod the pad or use an adapter for 7800 games that require two buttons.

It was a mystery for a long while.  It was a big breakthrough when the offending circuitry was finally figured out.  There is a hack somewhere that shows how you can modify your 7800 to be compatible.  If someone has a problem with their 7800 I would look into performing the hack rather than just dealing with the incompatibility.

1022887[/snapback]

Maybe this one: http://www.schells.com/7800mod.shtml

or this one: http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/7800_compat.html.

Mitch

As far as I know (and am happy to stand corrected), all of the last released rainbow 2600 and all 7800 systems released in Australia came with the CX-78 controllers, but with flat x-pad directional controller, not with the little thumbstick attachment.

They work really well but are quite light and do not feel anywhere near as good as the NES pads, but they seem to be very robust and I've had no problems with longevity. They are not as good as the Pro-Line when playing Winter or Summer Games though as you can't beat slamming the stick when running! :D

I've not seen the CX-78's available seperatley that often on eBay.com.au but considering you can pick up a 2600 with a CX-78 (without games) for around AUD$10, you can get them cheap and pick up a PAL console at the same time.

Well my 7800 ProSystem with 35 games (23 which are 7800) came in today and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Just got off the phone with Best Electronics and gonna' have me 2 CX-78 joypads by next week! ---The Proline joysticks are okay but a game of Battlefield of the Wolf: COMMANDO are an excersize in futility with it. I couldn't get used to my machine gun being on the left button with the way I have to hold the Proline Joystick. To me the grenade should've been on the left and "shoot" on the right button. I'm getting adjusted to Robotron but I'm sure once the CX-78 gets here it'll be easier. Guess I could hook up my MegaDrive gamepad since it's only one button to shoot too though.

AS FOR MY ORIGINAL QUESTION... looks like Snoopy and most of my other 2600 are working just fine. Heck the picture clarity seems a bit better too, and I'm still using an RF/Cable hook up at that. Already I'm wondering what might have been had Atari launched the system in '84 rather than having it shelved. Hell I'm more excited with this than I am even about the PS3 and Revolution. *Now if only that game Fade Out would somehow get completed...

GOOD TIMES! buttrock9ds.gif

Well my 7800 ProSystem with 35 games (23 which are 7800) came in today and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.  Just got off the phone with Best Electronics and gonna' have me 2 CX-78 joypads by next week!  ---The Proline joysticks are okay but a game of Battlefield of the Wolf: COMMANDO are an excersize in futility with it.  I couldn't get used to my machine gun being on the left button with the way I have to hold the Proline Joystick.  To me the grenade should've been on the left and "shoot" on the right button. I'm getting adjusted to Robotron but I'm sure once the CX-78 gets here it'll be easier.  Guess I could hook up my MegaDrive gamepad since it's only one button to shoot too though.

AS FOR MY ORIGINAL QUESTION... looks like Snoopy and most of my other 2600 are working just fine.  Heck the picture clarity seems a bit better too, and I'm still using an RF/Cable hook up at that.  Already I'm wondering what might have been had Atari launched the system in '84 rather than having it shelved.  Hell I'm more excited with this than I am even about the PS3 and Revolution. *Now if only that game Fade Out would somehow get completed...

GOOD TIMES! buttrock9ds.gif

1023265[/snapback]

It is a great feeling, isn't it?

Actually - with your issue with the buttons being on the wrong/uncomfortable side for Commando - with the Proline sticks - that's pretty easily remedied. Just pop them open, and switch the wires on the two fire button PCBs to be opposite of how they are. They aren't soldered, just attached with clips.

Actually - with your issue with the buttons being on the wrong/uncomfortable side for Commando - with the Proline sticks - that's pretty easily remedied. Just pop them open, and switch the wires on the two fire button PCBs to be opposite of how they are. They aren't soldered, just attached with clips.

1023712[/snapback]

Yessir it is. I was up till about 4 in the morning last night playing the 7800, something I haven't done with any system in years. Managed to get to "Wave 22" on Galaga, which strangely I like this port better than the arcade and the Famicom port. Then I played about an hour of Robotron 2084, then powered up some 2600 goodness with Crystal Castles getting much further into the game than I have in 20 years It's probably because I'm older now and am thinking things through and not making the careless mistakes I made as an easily distracted kid.

*Thanks for the tip on the ProLine Joysticks, though I doubt I'll crack them open, me thinks I'll just wait for the CX-78 gamepads to come in, which then using the left button will feel right at home, it really has more to do with how one has to hold the ProLine that bothers me. A man could get some serious carpal tunnel trying to mash the side buttons! :D

1023712[/snapback]

Yessir it is. I was up till about 4 in the morning last night playing the 7800, something I haven't done with any system in years. Managed to get to "Wave 22" on Galaga, which strangely I like this port better than the arcade and the Famicom port. Then I played about an hour of Robotron 2084, then powered up some 2600 goodness with Crystal Castles getting much further into the game than I have in 20 years It's probably because I'm older now and am thinking things through and not making the careless mistakes I made as an easily distracted kid.

*Thanks for the tip on the ProLine Joysticks, though I doubt I'll crack them open, me thinks I'll just wait for the CX-78 gamepads to come in, which then using the left button will feel right at home, it really has more to do with how one has to hold the ProLine that bothers me. A man could get some serious carpal tunnel trying to mash the side buttons! :D

1023723[/snapback]

Yes, I've seen alot of people refer to them as the PainLine Joysticks. BTW, I hope you got Ms. Pac-Man for the 7800 because that game is just the bob-omb. I don't usually hype the 7800, but I did own one for many years before selling it off, and I still have a bunch of games for it, just no system. I need to get one just to play Ms. Pac-Man and Food Fight. I spend most of my Atari money on the 5200 though.(it's better wink wink).

Danno, you first went that the chances of a game not working was " slim to none", and basically made your post to make out compatibility issues as a myth.

Now you're stating the obvious by saying it's only certain consoles, etc. No one was stating it was universal that games like Time Pilot don't work across all 7800's.

"That's entirely different from perpetuating the myth that the 7800 is "Not compatible with some 2600 games"."

Who did that? I have a 7800 that won't work with certain titles like Time Pilot (Which is know to have issues on certain 7800's), and it works fine on my other. So it wasn't me.

The bottom line is just what I said it seems, certain games won't run on certain consoles. Compatibility varies, though I'm lucky enough to have a 7800 that works with everything I've ran it with on real carts, and the CCII. My other one isn't so lucky.

Edited by Atariboy

It was a mystery for a long while.  It was a big breakthrough when the offending circuitry was finally figured out.  There is a hack somewhere that shows how you can modify your 7800 to be compatible.  If someone has a problem with their 7800 I would look into performing the hack rather than just dealing with the incompatibility.

1022887[/snapback]

Can anyone describe in simple terms EXACTLY what the offending circuitry does? I'd like my 4A50 cart to be compatible with such 7800's if possible, and if not I'd like to know about it.

Danno, you first went  that the chances of a game not working was " slim to none", and basically made your post to make out compatibility issues as a myth.

Now you're stating the obvious by saying it's only certain consoles, etc. No one was stating it was universal that games like Time Pilot don't work across all 7800's.

"That's entirely different from perpetuating the myth that the 7800 is "Not compatible with some 2600 games"."

Who did that? I have a 7800 that won't work with certain titles like Time Pilot (Which is know to have issues on certain 7800's), and it works fine on my other. So it wasn't me.

The bottom line is just what I said it seems, certain games won't run on certain consoles. Compatibility varies, though I'm lucky enough to have a 7800 that works with everything I've ran it with on real carts, and the CCII. My other one isn't so lucky.

1026679[/snapback]

Plenty of people come here and make posts that state "The 7800 IS incompatible with certain 2600 games".

That's a myth. There is a very slight chance that you MIGHT get a 2600 cartridge/7800 console combination that might have playability problems. In reality - most problems are due to bad care of the system vs. actual incompatibility issues. It is not a widespread problem. Saying that the system "IS incompatible with certain 2600 games" would indicate that the problem is across the board, with every console. That's just not true. Not even close.

I never said YOU stated this. But it's something I've seen repeated on here 1,000 times, and it irks me because it's so few and far between in reality.

That's a myth. There is a very slight chance that you MIGHT get a 2600 cartridge/7800 console combination that might have playability problems. In reality - most problems are due to bad care of the system vs. actual incompatibility issues. It is not a widespread problem. Saying that the system "IS incompatible with certain 2600 games" would indicate that the problem is across the board, with every console. That's just not true. Not even close.

1027032[/snapback]

I respectfully disagree, two of my four 7800s had the Robot Tank type problem. That's why I searched Usenet, found Jay Tilton's old post about different 7800 schematic versions, and ohmmed out the motherboards until I found the extra circuit.

Can anyone describe in simple terms EXACTLY what the offending circuitry does?  I'd like my 4A50 cart to be compatible with such 7800's if possible, and if not I'd like to know about it.

1026687[/snapback]

My site has the full schematic of it and here's the original Usenet thread with Chad Schell theorizing on things:

usenet thread

• 3 weeks later...

There are only a very small amount of games that won't play on 7800's. I have a collection of around 250 different 2600 games may even be more) and only have 2 that don't work on my 7800 which are Robot Tank and Space Shuttle, both by Activision and I believe this is to do with the type of bankswitching used on these games.

Does Robot Tank not work on any 7800s, or only certain revisions?

There are only a very small amount of games that won't play on 7800's. I have a collection of around 250 different 2600 games may even be more) and only have 2 that don't work on my 7800 which are Robot Tank and Space Shuttle, both by Activision and I believe this is to do with the type of bankswitching used on these games.

Does Robot Tank not work on any 7800s, or only certain revisions?

Certain revisions have an extra timing circuit that breaks Robot Tank and a couple other Activision games. Disabling the circuit really isn't that hard.

Mitch