IGNORED

When systems start showing up in antique shops

swbolton

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pac-man:

I think at some point the classic game systems wiil eventually start popping up in antique stores. Any ventures on a guess? I would say another 20 years for Atari systems.

Actually, over the past two years, I have seen maybe 5 or 6 Atari systems in antique stores. Granted, they were small town antique stores, so maybe that doesn't count.

Burgel

It seems like everyone has gotten the word that this a very collectible item. I asked a guy at work if he would sell his kids old system and his kids said no because they thought they could sell it for hundreds of dollars (with no games). I'm waiting for about 50 years and we'll see it on the Antiques Road Show on PBS.

Yes, someone just posted that he got back into it or just started getting into it. I forgot who it was. Anyway, on his website, he has the Antiques Roadshow clip of the Atari. The jerk on the tv says the following,

"Common games such as Pac-man, Space Invaders and Asteroids sell for $5-10" Ok, where the hell has he been selling these games. I'd like to know, I'd make a fortune.

"But more rare games such as Tooth Protectors and Chase the Chuckwagon were not sold in stores, and go for hundreds"

Ok, he had these two carts on display.

"And a game like Quadrun released real late by Atari goes for $500-1000" Yes, he had a silver label Quadrun.

"The unit itself sells for $100 and more" Again, where the hell is he selling this. I have about 30 he can buy from me at that price!

I think this person's post with the link to his website was in the non-gaming forum but I'm not too sure.

Phil

Technologically speaking the 2600 is an antique, a throwback to the 8 bit micro processor days, just as synthesizers and computers from that era are also antiques, though nobody calls them antiques, they call them "vintage", so the 2600 is pretty much a vintage system, very retro, very 70's though it's also associated with the 80's.

They are not worth that much, and probably never will be, simply because there are millions of them all over the world, and they last for a looonnnnggg time if you take care of one. The rare carts are worth something though, and I can only see them going up in value as the years go on and the 1980's fade from recent memory - ....For me I never really stopped using the 2600 so it's hard to see it as an antique, but for the young kids today used to 64 & 128 bit systems the 2600 is a dinosaur, which is too bad because some of the best games ever are the simple and pure games of the old 8 bit game systems, don't ya think??

If they still work. If not, I predict that they'll just be pieces of plastic to the general public.

But your post IS a bit ironic -- regarding the modern day, however, rather than the future! I actually saw a Bally Astrocade in a shop called Antiques Plus. I already have one, so I didn't buy it, because they were asking $100! And the base was cracked!

We have to realize that "retro-gaming," as it's called by the general media, is something of a surprise to our commodity society. Nobody ever expected Atari, etc. to become a huge fetish industry. Once in a while, a shop owner or thrift store employee will hear from a friend or Internet blurb that "those ol' 1980s video games are fetchin' a pretty penny now-a-days," and try to cash in by hauling a forgotten "toy" from a couple decades ago out of the hall closet and hoping to encounter a fanatical collector type.

Some of you have already posted messages about thrift-shop caretakers (and the like) charging way too much for commons, simply because they don't know enough to differentiate between "rare" and...well, "Combat."

Once they don't make their millions from Ebaying or price-hiking their childhood curios, THEN they sell them at reasonable prices.

Which is good....because oh, how we love our plastic stuff!

CF

quote:

Originally posted by StellasGhost:

Technologically speaking the 2600 is an antique, a throwback to the 8 bit micro processor days, just as synthesizers and computers from that era are also antiques, though nobody calls them antiques, they call them "vintage", so the 2600 is pretty much a vintage system, very retro, very 70's though it's also associated with the 80's.

They are not worth that much, and probably never will be, simply because there are millions of them all over the world, and they last for a looonnnnggg time if you take care of one. The rare carts are worth something though, and I can only see them going up in value as the years go on and the 1980's fade from recent memory - ....For me I never really stopped using the 2600 so it's hard to see it as an antique, but for the young kids today used to 64 & 128 bit systems the 2600 is a dinosaur, which is too bad because some of the best games ever are the simple and pure games of the old 8 bit game systems, don't ya think??

Your pretty wrong. There may be millions but there dissapearing all the time. Most people trow theres away. So every day there decreasing.

Trust me. I asked many people and they usually say they thre theres away.

Trust me Atari Master, he's pretty right. How many Ataris were sold in the day??? Like 100,000,000 plus??? Even if a few of the people you talked to threw theirs away.... The supply is WAAAAY greater than the demand. Hell I have 5 Atari 2600 now and I just traded 2 a few months ago. Do a search on ebay for Atari 2600 and see if you don't get a few 100 Atari Consoles for sale... Been like that for years.... Of course its hard to say what will happen in 20 years... But believe me Atari 2600's aren't getting scarce because everyones thrown them out.

Actually, the number of Atari 2600/VCS systems sold is around the 26 million mark. Only the Gameboy series has sold over 100 million as far as I know. Even the Playstation hasn't reached that level yet!

Hell ... I remember being blown away when it was reported that Atari had shipped 7 million units!!!