IGNORED

New games

Freedinfo

As a programmer seriously interested in programming new games for the 2600, how many games should I expect to sell? Of course assume that the game is of average quality compared to the new games being made today. I have'nt been to any of the of the classic gaming expos nor have I been in contact with current programmers so my information base on this subject is quite limited. I appreciate any info or leads...thanks...!!

If past homebrew sales are any indication -- and they usually are - you might expect maybe 200 or so. Perhaps more. Depends on the game, really, and how much attention the project gets. I wouldn't expect to make a career out of it, so if you're going into it with the idea of making a decent profit, you might want to back up a few steps and take another look at the market. Retrogaming is certainly gaming momentum, mostly with those who lived through the era it originally came from, but also with a lot of newbies to the scene who are experiencing those old classics for the first time. Even so, the only way you're really going to sell any significant numbers (keeping in mind that significant in this case is all in the perspective of the size of the market you're selling to) your best bet is to make appearances at the various retro shows -- CGE/NWCGE and the like -- and debut your carts there. And of course it helps to have websites like this one here announce your games to the masses so they can get in touch with you to make purchases.

Again, this isn't the sort of thing you'll make a living of, but if you're passionate about classic Atari and are more interested in the act of creation and sharing with fellow Atarians than the returns you'll get on it, then you're definitely in the right place and on the right track. :-)

Thanks alot for the valuable info! I understand of course that I can't make a living from it. I am like like most hard core programmers- have my "daytime" programming job and my fun "nighttime" programming hobbies. What appeals to me most about Atari game programming is not so much the nostalgia of it, though of course its there in the max, but the individualized nature of the programming. The current programming world is "mature" meaning that there is just as much BS politics as there is actual programming because the programming is done in teams. In fact the only programming markets still unaffected by this de-individualization are retro-gaming and handhelds(including cell phones...whoa are they fun to program games for!!).

So what's so cool about doing it alone? By yourself programming is an adventure, when part of a team it's a business. Of course there are exceptions, but those exceptions are a dying breed.

Again...thanxs.....!!

quote:

Originally posted by Freedinfo:

What appeals to me most about Atari game programming is not so much the nostalgia of it, though of course its there in the max, but the individualized nature of the programming.

So what's so cool about doing it alone? By yourself programming is an adventure, when part of a team it's a business.

That's exactly how I would describe my reasons too.

So, will we see something for the 2600 in the near future?