I could see this being a bit hard to get used to. It's one of my

all time fave games and I'd like to enjoy playing it again without

undue frustration.

It's probably a stupid question, but even though I grew up playing

the 2600 VCS, I haven't really revisited the Pre-Famicom/NES era

of gaming until recently... now I'm hooked again and want to dive

into this stuff head on full steam.

:jango:

Not only will it work with a single joystick, it's actually playable that way. Back in the mid '90s when I discovered the 7800, there were a few weeks when I played a lot of Robotron. I actually preferred playing it in one-stick mode. I was usually getting a score in the 600K range, then I suddenly had a game with a score in the 1.2M range. At that point I felt like I had played enough and moved on to other things.

The Digital Eclipse ports from the SNES/PS1 era weren't playable with one stick because there was no way to stop firing once you started. It becomes unplayable because a major part of this game is saving the last robot so that you can scoop up all the humans at once. If you can't stop firing, and always fire in the direction you move, it gets very hard to avoid shooting the last robot.

Good to know I'll be able to play my copy of Robotron 2084 using only one of the ProLine Joysticks. I was assuming I'd be able to, and use one of the firing buttons to shoot and I guess I was right. This is one of the main reasons I wanted the 7800, I know it's not the arcade version but I'm and oddball because I often prefer "ports" to the originals depending on what game it is. I may very well be like that after playing the 7800 version upon getting it. I know I've always liked the 2600VCS ports of Phoenix and Crystal Castles over the originals.

Thanks to all who replied with the info drop!

buttrock9ds.gifpimp4sc.gif

I like to play using a joytick and the pedal controller. I put the pedal controller in the right side port and set up one button to fire left and another to fire right. I use the joystick most of the time, but I can strafe firing left or right with the foot pedals. I find it helps with those later levels when there are lots of fast moving grunts.

"The Digital Eclipse ports from the SNES/PS1 era weren't playable with one stick because there was no way to stop firing once you started. It becomes unplayable because a major part of this game is saving the last robot so that you can scoop up all the humans at once. If you can't stop firing, and always fire in the direction you move, it gets very hard to avoid shooting the last robot."

Sure there was, stop pressing A, B, X, or Y on the SNES controller to stop shooting. And you you don't need to shoot in the direction you move. And I have no doubt the Williams PSX collection is the same way.

My 7800 ProSystem package deal with 35 games

is still en route to me, and I've only ever played Robotron

in the arcade and the N64 version.  My question is, is can

the 7800 game be played using only ONE joystick or do I

have to somehow play using both joysticks?  If it's using both

I could see this being a bit hard to get used to.  It's one of my

all time fave games and I'd like to enjoy playing it again without

undue frustration.

It's probably a stupid question, but even though I grew up playing

the 2600 VCS, I haven't really revisited the Pre-Famicom/NES era

of gaming until recently... now I'm hooked again and want to dive

into this stuff head on full steam.

:jango:

1020919[/snapback]

I prefer this game with 2 joysticks, it's basically arcade perfect, but maybe a little on the easy side...which is ok in my view.

One thing you could do which I've seen a picture of before, is take two stock 2600 sticks and somehow attach them to a base, like a piece of wood, using screws or whatever, and you'll have a good setup for arcade like control for 7800 Robotron. The 2600 sticks work fine BTW on the machine if you didn't know.

I love 7800 Robotron! Outside of emulation, I think it's the most authentic version you'll find on any console. I actually like playing it better than the arcade original, mostly because the controller options on newer platforms (aside for something expensive like the Hotrod) dont't seem to me to be as well-suited for it as classic controllers.

I used to have a pair of ProLines attached to suction cups for playing this game with two joysticks, but now I use a pair of my Space Invaders sticks. Their rubber feet and wide base do a good job of keeping them in place during gameplay without extra support, and of course they provide excellent arcade-quality control.

"The Digital Eclipse ports from the SNES/PS1 era weren't playable with one stick because there was no way to stop firing once you started. It becomes unplayable because a major part of this game is saving the last robot so that you can scoop up all the humans at once. If you can't stop firing, and always fire in the direction you move, it gets very hard to avoid shooting the last robot."

Sure there was, stop pressing A, B, X, or Y on the SNES controller to stop shooting. And you you don't need to shoot in the direction you move. And I have no doubt the Williams PSX collection is the same way.

Are you sure about that? Because the whole point was that I definitely remember it would NOT stop firing when you let up on the button. It wouldn't fire until you pressed the button, but then it would never stop through the rest of the level.

I used to have a pair of ProLines attached to suction cups for playing this game with two joysticks, but now I use a pair of my Space Invaders sticks.  Their rubber feet and wide base do a good job of keeping them in place during gameplay without extra support, and of course they provide excellent arcade-quality control.
I have a pair of Wico sticks that I found at a thrift store where someone had made a wooden frame for them that stuck out on both sides. I guess you could put them under your legs or something. (talk of what it must have looked like should be taken to #rgvc)

Yep, I can confirm that it's not like that. Don't have the PSX version, but I doubt they'd change anything between them.

For the SNES version, ABXY control your firing. If you want to fire upwards, press X, down with B, top right by pressing X and B at the same time, etc. And it stops when you release the fire button. Have no reason to assume that the PSX and Saturn disc were no different (The N64 version was the same way for example).

Perhaps you're thinking of the Genesis version of it with a 3 button control pad? Never played that version, but it makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...